Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exclusively pumping right now and need to get out of the house!!

Default Re: Exclusively pumping right now and need to get out of the house!!

I know how you feel. As an exclusive pumper, I had a set schedule. Luckily my DD loved to nap at just the right times! I made all my appointments and my outings based on my schedule and worked around her nap times. It got easier when I went to 4 to 5 hour stretches between pumps. I would have everything ready to go in the car before I pumped. Then as soon as I was done, I was like in a race to use all my precious time before I'd have to be back to pump. Then I got smart and started pumping EVERYWHERE! I used a nursing wrap to cover myself and I've pumped at numerous airports (including JFK where I had to ask someone to move a seat for the outlet and boy did he move fast). I've pumped on planes, in train stations, at Macy's, restaurants, at weddings, at a Bar Mitzvah too! I just ask for a private space and I usually get no problem. I just use the wrap and some people think I'm actually holding a baby under there : ) My father in law used to leave the room even though I was under wraps! But now he's so used to it, he justs asks, "What's that noise? OH! It's the pump, right!" I even tell my friends that I love having their company in the same room if they would talk to me while I pump and boy have I changed a lot of perceptions. I like to think I made more people aware of breastfeeding by my going "public" while pumping. So don't be hiding the beautiful fact that you are feeding your LO the best stuff in the world.

P.S. to make my life easier I bought enough pump parts to have for one whole day of pumping. Then at night I run the dishwasher with my parts. I had a problem with thrush so I could not avoid washing all parts after every use. Also, I use the microwave steam bag for when I'm out in public!

What kind of pump do you have? Is it portable? A friend gave me her old Medela In Style pump and it is really nice. I thought about getting a portable pump since I will probably be EPing for awhile but I know that you can also get an adapter for your pump and use it in the car? Have you ever tried this? I was just wondering if it still did a good job and didn't suck all the juice out of the car battery!!

I have the Medela Pump in Style Advanced Metro bag. I love it. The actual motor is a smaller detached boxlike part that I can fit anywhere! I bought the car adapter for about $8 at BabiesRUs and it works fine. I have never had a problem pumping in the car and I've done it a LOT! I've had to pump while my baby napped with me in the car too! I always have the battery adapter with me JUST IN CASE and I store an extra set of 8 batteries in my car, in my bedroom, and just about anywhere I might have an "emergency." Also, I bought a runner's timer so I am always pumping the exact amount of time. I fit that in the mesh pocket on the motor. Keep a picture of your baby in the motor mesh pocket too! Good luck! OH I almost forgot! make sure you always have enough caps in your freezer bag! I've contacted Medela about the extra caps and they sent me some gratis. I bought an extra freezer part just in case I would forget to refridgerate it the night before. I ALWAYs carry extra freezer storage bags with me in case I forget ANY part of the pump paraphrenalia. Imagine forgetting the white circles????? UGH! I do carry one extra white part in case I flush it down the drain. I also carry a microwave steamer bag. The great news is that all this stuff actually fits in the Metro bag!!!!! I hope I helped a bit...

This is how I felt when I first decided to EP. But you need to get out. I would schedule all of my errands/outings around feeding my son, then pump, and then head out. It's okay if you miss a pumping or two. It's not going to bet the end of the world. At first I felt so guilty when that would happen. Around 8 weeks my supply was pretty much established and I was pumping 8 times a day and then down to 7 when he dropped one of his night feedings at 10 weeks. I am now back at work and am still pumping! I am down to 5 pumps a day (2 at work) and my suppy is still the same. I have gotten over the feeling of having to pump at home. I have a pumping bag that I take with me that has everything I need.
    My next obstacle will be traveling for work and pumping. And by traveling I do not mean by plane, I mean driving 5-6 hours. So the car adapter will be my next purchase!!