Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Suggestions for Help?

Default Suggestions for Help?

On December 21, my daughter was delivered by emergency c-section 8 weeks early due to my developing severe pre-ecclampsia. She is now in the NICU and I am using a Medela Symphony pump we rented from the hospital to pump 8 times a day and have been bringing the milk into the NICU for her. She weighs 3 pounds, 5 ounces and is currently taking 30mL/feeding. I am getting between 40-60mL per pumping and I am curious if that is normal or if I should be producing more at 3 weeks postpardum. I also never had that "ah ha" moment when my milk came in. My breasts have never felt engorged and they haven't gotten any larger. My pre-pregnancy bras still fit me just fine. So I guess my overall question is: Am I producing milk like I should be? I have just started taking fenugreek, as I have heard it can help with production. Any advice you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Suggestions for Help?

How often are you pumping? I found that pumping frequently (I think I was doing it every 1-2 hours at first, then every 2 hours during the day and 3 at night) helped, as did pumping with my little one near me, or at least a picture of him. I have a tendency to forget to drink water, and during DS's NICU stay I was especially prone to forget to drink enough, and that also made a big difference for me.

You may also want to do some research into Kangaroo Care -- it's an approach that encourages as much skin to skin contact as possible for preemies, and skin to skin contact is definitely a boon to milk production for many.

I hope your little one continues to grow and thrive and is home with you soon.
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

this link may help

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html

is the baby nursing any at the breast yet?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lorenzomama View Post
    How often are you pumping? I found that pumping frequently (I think I was doing it every 1-2 hours at first, then every 2 hours during the day and 3 at night) helped, as did pumping with my little one near me, or at least a picture of him. I have a tendency to forget to drink water, and during DS's NICU stay I was especially prone to forget to drink enough, and that also made a big difference for me.

You may also want to do some research into Kangaroo Care -- it's an approach that encourages as much skin to skin contact as possible for preemies, and skin to skin contact is definitely a boon to milk production for many.

I hope your little one continues to grow and thrive and is home with you soon.

Kangaroo care is invaluable, not only for you and baby, but for your milk as well.

We had these little squares of fabric that we would put into his isolette and take them home everyday and switch out for new ones...that way when we couldn't be there, I could smell him all the time. I also slept with them on my pillow.

I honestly don't remember how much I was pumping about this point, but maybe that particular pump might not be the best for you? The pump that they started me out with at the hospital wasn't working out as well for me, so they switched me to a medela lactina. It has stronger suction than most and by the time he left the NICU I had what seemed like gallons of milk frozen.

I also attempted to breastfeed every feed before he got the bottle. We knew he wouldn't be able to, but the physical contact and attempt may help your production and letdown as well. You could also ask if you can pump next to the isolette.

Best of luck mama! You can do it!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Unfortunatley we live an hour away from the NICU, and I have gone back to work in hopes of saving my maternity leave for when she is released. So we don't get to see her but once a day if we are lucky. I would like to try the kangaroo care, but it seems like there is never time with the schedule I have now. I will try to get some more time in this weekend and see if that helps. She hasn't been allowed to try and nurse yet. She just went to full feeds on the bottle yesterday. It is looking like she will be released within the next week or two. Will there still be an oportunity for my milk to increase when she comes home and can nurse or is the amount I am producing pretty much set by this point?