Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What's going on? Not able to pump as much

Default What's going on? Not able to pump as much

Hello.

My DD is 4 mo. old now and so far bf has been going fine. I don't have to pump much b/c I am a SAHM but I do pump occassionally (about once every 2 wks or so) if I will be out w/o my LO. DD usually only nurses on one side at every feeding so up until about 2 wks ago I could just pump from the side she didn't nurse on and get 4-5 oz of milk in about 10-15 min using my medela manual pump. The last couple of weeks, however, I am having trouble getting even an ounce or two when I pump!! DD seems to want to nurse a little more often during the day and night too and sometimes will now take both sides during a feeding. Should I be concerned that my supply is dropping? DD's diaper output is unchanged. What can I do differently to get a full bottle when I need to go out? Thanks!!

Default Re: What's going on? Not able to pump as much

Hi there! I'm sorry that you're getting discouraged. I think that your supply has evened out. If you want to up it, you should pump every day at the same time. One or two ounces is a normal amount for a stay at home mom that is demand feeding.

Here is a link on normal amounts for pumping.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I think that your supply has evened out. If you want to up it, you should pump every day at the same time.
    What you describe sounds 100% normal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the help! I'm glad to know that this is normal :-) I think I will start pumping once a day and freezing the output so that I have a stash to use when I need to make a bottle. Does this sound ok?
    Thanks Again!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cheer4182 View Post
    I think I will start pumping once a day and freezing the output so that I have a stash to use when I need to make a bottle. Does this sound ok?
    Yes, that sounds like a good plan. You might want to pump after the first morning feeding- many moms have the most milk then. You also may want to taste-test your frozen milk occasionally, as some moms have or develop issues with excess lipase enzyme, which can make stored milk taste funky.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Yes, that sounds like a good plan. You might want to pump after the first morning feeding- many moms have the most milk then. You also may want to taste-test your frozen milk occasionally, as some moms have or develop issues with excess lipase enzyme, which can make stored milk taste funky.
    You don't want to have 100 ounces of milk your baby won't eat in the freezer!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months