Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help, I am so sore! and what's wrong with my baby?

Unhappy Please help, I am so sore! and what's wrong with my baby?

My son is 2 1/2 weeks old. Lately hen he is nursing he scooches all around and wimpers like he is going to cry. Is he in pain? Is is gas? Does he have a sore throat? I try to burp him but he doesn't always burp.

Also, sometimes he spits up which I know is okay but then he seems to gag. Is he choking? Should I be concerned?

My other concern is that when he is latched on, he will pull his head back and stretch my breast. It hurts like crazy and has made my breasts very sore. Why does he do this?

I have been pumping some and giving him a bottle which he does great with. No moving around or wimpering. Does he just prefer the bottle? Should I just pump for him all the time? Please help, I could use any advice you have. Thanks.

Default Re: Please help, I am so sore! and what's wrong with my baby?

My son did the same thing when he was little, I know how you feel! I never figured out the reason for the pull-back routine, but what worked for me was to nurse lying down. He didn't have quite so much room to retreat. Don't worry too much about the little gag when he spits up, just make sure you are being very gentle when you burp him. My son had a tendency to spit up half his dinner when I burped him, but seemed to feel better when I just tilted him up. He didn't need to be burped usually and some breastfed babies don't. About the bottle... they are easier for a baby new to breastfeeding. The milk just comes out, no work! They aren't necessarily the best thing if you want to continue to breastfeed. My son took one bottle a night with my husband until I realized that the more he bottle-fed, the harder it was to breastfeed. He had a hard time changing how he sucked, and you don't want them sucking on your breast the way they suck on a bottle! As convenient as it seems to just pump, it really is best just starting out to exclusively breastfeed. Trust me, about the time you feel like you want to put your breast in a freezer is when it starts to get better.

First, congratulations on your baby!

It's good you are asking for help. Breastfeeding isn't supposed to hurt, and the sooner you resolve this the happier you'll both be.

It's hard to tell from a post, but three things came to mind from what you wrote.
    1. Work to get a good "asymmetric" latch. There is a terrific article here that describes how to do it:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...ebMar04p3.html

2. Is there any chance you are holding or stroking the back or top of your baby's head when he nurses? Babies are "wired" to turn towards touch on their heads, and I've found that if a mom is touching the back of the baby's head he tends to throw his head back-- if he's attached to your nipple, this will hurt! You can support his neck by putting thumb and fingers right at the base of his head where it joins the neck.

3. When he is nursing, he should be "plastered" across your body (if you are using some variation of the "cradle" hold). Diane Wiessinger (the author of the above article) spoke last summer about how babies need "positional stability" when nursing. He needs to have his whole body supported, otherwise he feels like he's about to fall and will grasp and squirm and generally not concentrate on eating.

Can you contact a local LLL Leader or attend a meeting? This is precisely why we're here! If a Leader can see you in person she can probably help you fine-tune your technique. Breastfeeding is "natural" but it's a learned skill (for both of you!) Find Leaders/groups here: http://www.lalecheleague.org/WebIndex.html

Lastly, the bottle may not be helping with nursing, because the baby uses his tongue in an entirely different way. HOWEVER, it's important to Feed the Baby! If you feel your baby is not nursing effectively, please track down an LLL Leader or an IBCLC lactation consultant. If you are concerned about your baby's health, check with his doctor. Are you seeing 5-6 wet diapers (disposable) and 2-5 poopy diapers a day? This will help you judge if your baby is getting enough, even though he spits up. If you need to give a bottle (or in the meantime while you perfect your breastfeeding technique), you could try this: www.bfar.org/bottlefeeding.pdf It makes feeding from the bottle more like nursing from the breast--baby has to work for the milk, and it gets his tongue in a better position.

I'm sorry you're having these difficulties breastfeeding your baby. It can be really scary when you are suddenly responsible for a whole lot of things you've never done before! Don't be afraid to ask for help (see, you already are!), just be sure to ask breastfeeding questions of people who have sucessfully breastfed. You are not alone in this experience. You can do this! Good Luck! Let us know how you are doing!

Dawn

[COLOR="Teal"]I can not hold the back of my babies neck so he will not pull away because I have to use 2 hands to feed him. My breasts are larger and I end up holing him with one hand and holding my breast back away from his nose with the other hand.

Laying in bed does help, we do this every night, unfortunatly when i go back to work (taking baby with me) I will not have the option to lay in bed.

Any ideas on why he crys during feedings? Could he have a sore throat or gas?

I plan to go to a meeting ASAP. there was one tongiht but since it is Valentine's day I could not attend. I hope to go to one soon because the pain in my one breast is almost unbearable.

Hello again!
    I thought of a few more things (just fishing...it's still hard to really tell what might help online).

Do you use the asymmetric latch to get your baby latched on? I included a link in my last post that might help. You shouldn't have to hold your breast back from baby's nose. Babies' noses are rather flat so they can breathe out of the side when nursing. With the asymmetric latch, the baby's chin is buried in the breast, you may or may not see the lips (especially at the beginning of a feed), and the nose may or may not touch the breast. With large breasts, his nose will likely touch.

I have seen (and experienced!) where trying to push on the breast to keep it out of the baby's nose actually pulls the nipple out of the baby's mouth--leads to a very fussy baby because he can't ever keep a good hold on the breast! Without seeing you I can't say for sure that this is happening. Just a thought, though, that might help.

Why do *you* think your baby is crying? What is your "gut" feeling? If he was deeply suctioned at birth he might have a sore throat, but I would expect that to be gone by now. Sometimes deep suctioning gives babies an aversion to having the nipple far back in the mouth where it's supposed to be (a bottle nipple usually sits farther forward). Babies can overcome this aversion with some help.

I've heard of some babies born with a "crick" in the neck, which can make it painful to nurse or lie on one side. I know moms who have taken their baby to a chiropractor or cranial-sacral therapist (one who is trained in treating infants). This may help. Has your baby been checked for a broken collarbone? This happens with some frequency during birth. It will heal, but it could make him very uncomfortable.

Do you notice your milk spraying out forcefully? For very young babies this can feel like trying to drink from a firehose. They may gag and pull off, and have lots of gas. You could do a search on the LLL website for things like OALD (over active let down) or perhaps foremilk-hindmilk imbalance.

How is your baby overall? Is he alert and generally happy? Are you seeing at least 5-6 wet diapers (disposables) and 2-5 poopy diapers per 24 hours? (You can pour 2-4 tablespoons of water into a clean diaper to feel how a "wet" one should be). Is he happy being held? I know you can't lie down to nurse when you go back to work, but perhaps holding/nursing in a sling would help?

These are just a few ideas. I'm sorry you missed the meeting tonight. Could you call a local Leader? She'll be happy to talk to you and can probably help you narrow down whatever is causing the problem. That's the problem with online--I can throw out guesses but it's easier to work through this type of issue "real time". I know this is so frustrating for you-- you want to nurse and enjoy your baby but he's miserable about something. Keep searching! You are your child's advocate and nobody knows him better. You can do this!

Dawn

Congrats on your baby! My son is now 12 weeks old but we had similar issues when he was born. It turns out he was tongue tied and could not get enough of the nipple inside his mouth. I'm wondering if maybe you are experienceing the same thing--my son seemed to gum my nipple--do you feel that? You can look online at "tight frenulum" pictures and see if your lil one has one. The doctors recommended immediately clipping his tongue and after a 5 minute procedure he latched correctly from then on. Best wishes!

Congratulations on your new baby and for being so dedicated to breastfeeding.
    A technique that has been very helpful for me is to roll up a hand towel and put it under my breast where skin touches skin, hope that makes sense. This helps to support my breast leaving my hands free to support the baby and work on latch. This gets my breast in a much better position and keeps it from dragging down on the baby's chin. I only need to do this during the early months of feeding.

momuvseven