Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: blood in poop?! eek!!!

Default blood in poop?! eek!!!

today while changing my 6 MO DS, i noticed a red streak through his poop. we just started solids, so his poop was kind of like paste with an even red stripe through it. i am not POSITIVE that it was blood, but he hasnt eaten any solids beside bananas and apples, so i cant imagine it was colored that way by food. he eats fruit puree a few times per week in the mornings and other than that is EBF. He did not appear to be in any pain but has been fussy the past couple of weeks (i had assumed due to other symptoms that it was teething) what could this mean?! are solids causing a problem? is it something in my milk? his poop is not hard and the blood was bright, so im at a loss! please help!

thanks!!
    brenna

mom to Cash, 7/23/09
    born: 8lbs. 10oz
    5 mos: 21 lbs & 27 in
    8 mos: 24 lbs & 32 in

Default Re: blood in poop?! eek!!!

Maybe the food was just a little rough for his belly...like, it might take a little bit for his system to adjust?

This is mostly a bump for you, to be honest...I just didn't want to reply and not have SOMETHING to say to you...I know it's scary to find things like that!!

Breastfeeding my 4 year old

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*seattlemomma View Post
    today while changing my 6 MO DS, i noticed a red streak through his poop. we just started solids, so his poop was kind of like paste with an even red stripe through it. i am not POSITIVE that it was blood, but he hasnt eaten any solids beside bananas and apples, so i cant imagine it was colored that way by food. he eats fruit puree a few times per week in the mornings and other than that is EBF. He did not appear to be in any pain but has been fussy the past couple of weeks (i had assumed due to other symptoms that it was teething) what could this mean?! are solids causing a problem? is it something in my milk? his poop is not hard and the blood was bright, so im at a loss! please help!

thanks!!
    i'm certainly not an expert on this, but with bright red blood it could be that he's got a little tear in his (forgive me for being graphic here) anus that is causing the blood. So maybe his stool is a little harder for him and because of the extra effort required to poop he just tore a little.

if he's not otherwise unhappy, i'd probably back off the bananas (constipater) and see if his stool get a little softer and easier to pass. Depending on how you feel about things you could add water, add another food that could help free things up a little (prunes for instance), or just back down on the solids in general. if he is unhappy other than when actively trying to poop, maybe its a food thing and then you might want to visit the allergy forum.

if it doesn't clear up I think its relatively simple for the pediatrician to check and see if a fisure is the problem, so you could bring him in for a quick check up.

good luck!
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    6 time conqueror of mastitis! (2 times without abx!)
    Have milk, will fly!

sounds like an anal fissure issue IMO.. but if you see it again (or repeatedly), def take to the pedi for a professional opinion...
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling