Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oranges and Meat (great title)

Default Oranges and Meat (great title)

We eat a lot of oranges in my house. I thought I read somewhere though that you should wait on oranges and all citrus fruits until a ceratin age but now I can't find where I read that. Last night Si wanted my orange sooooooo bad. I wanted to give him some but didn't, thought I'd check first.

Also, what was your baby's first meat? How and when did you give it?
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Default Re: Oranges and Meat (great title)

Citrus foods and cows milk should not be given until 1 yr of age. I know I've seen/read this over & over (that's why they stuck), but like you zplum I can't remember where . I've read so many baby books, magazines, artricles, etc.
    DD had turkey w/turkey broth jarred food. I had to mix some of my bm into it though she'd gag on the texture
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Our first meat was chicken or turkey (I think turkey but not sure--it was around Thanksgiving ), and it was cooked and in strips for him to pick up. It fell apart easily though, so he wouldn't choke on it. He also loved chicken.

Citrus we waited a while on, just in case it was irritating. We stuck with pears/bananas/watermelon/etc.

Have fun--it's wild when they start eating!

Our first meat was turkey on Thanksgiving. I don't know the right word, but we cut it so the grains were short. Since then, she's had ground beef (huge success and easy to nibble), pork (loves to suck on, rarely swallows any) and chicken (same as the pork).

The citrus can be very irritating on the bum, so we've mostly avoided it... EXCEPT for the small lemon wedge I let her taste, thinking she would spit it right back out... Wrong. She got a good suck or two in before I took it away, red ring and red butt for a couple of days. We won't go back for more for some time!
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

M's first meat was chicken. But she didn't really like it and to be honest, she still doesn't like meat.

I know I've read that citrus shouldn't be given until after a year, but I cant seem to remember where.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Oh shoot, I'm pretty sure DD had her first lemon slice when she was like 7 or 8 months old! Thank goodness no ill effects, but I feel bad for not checking first. She is a citrus fiend though and will eat through the rind of a mandarin orange to get to the fruit!

DD's first meat was roast lamb and I believe she was 7 months old. She it and still is a big meat eater.

Roxie's first meat was turkey at Christmas. She loved it and is still a huge carnivore baby!. So much for the mama who was a veggie for years!

And citrus, it is the irritation factor. I know of some babies who were just fine with it well before a year.. I think Roxie had some clementines last winter, but she didn't love them as much as she does this year.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

My DD had chicken as well. It was really soft in some chicken and dumplings. She was about 9 months if I recall (yeah cause that would have made it Jan perfect chicken and dumpling weather lol).

She hated the texture and only ate the teeniest peices. She was around 14 months before she seemed to enjoy any meats.

DD will eat two clementines at a time ! She had her first before a year but not by much like 11 mos. You just have to be sure to remove the membrane around each wedge. I cut the top and bottom flat. Then I cut off the rest of the peel. Sometimes the wedges just pop out or I use the knife to free the good stuff. She goes CRAZY for them
    I'm Melissa, DD (01/12/2009) weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years

we still haven't tried meat, but DS is only 6mos, and the baby food book i'm working from is anti-meat, so i'm not sure when to introduce them. i'm very pro-meat, so i will be looking for another source that deals with that.

citrus should not be introduced until 1yo, or later if your baby has other allergies. citrus is very allergenic, not to mention the acid can burn their bums, as PP noted. being allergic to citrus myself from a very young age, that is definitely one that we will avoid for a long while yet. as far as where i read it, my baby food book, Super Baby Foods, and also my baby book, Your Baby's First Year: Week by Week.
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/