Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mesh feeder thingies

Default Re: Mesh feeder thingies

Although I have not completely followed the child led approach to solids, I think the theory is wonderful! I have been giving dd solids to play with since before I started feeding her with a spoon...and although we have had to watch her closely, she has never choked. Usually she gags it out before that...and she is chewing even though she doesn't have teeth yet, reaching for food off our plates, biting off chunks, swallowing, and sometimes preferring to eat real meals instead of breastmilk (I don't allow this but my sitter feeds her real foods instead of one bottle, with a cupfull of milk in her sippy).

I think the mesh feeder is a good concept, but my dd would never have liked it...she liked playing with her food as much as she liked eating it, at first!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom
    How would he learn to chew and ingest if I didn't give him food to explore w?
    And if your waiting for all the signs that your child is ready for solids (TEETH, sitting up unassisted, the pincher grasp ect.) How would this be an issue?
    Teeth are optional on the food readiness chart. Sitting up, showing interest, lack of tongue thrust - those are first signs.

I am not saying put ALL the food in the mesh thingy - heck you'd need 12 of them..lol. But I def would put the foods with dangerous things (seeds, strings, etc) in one until they have the teeth to chew.

Okay.
    I just feel like everyone here does soo much research before introducing solids and the LLL site lists teeth as being among the signs that your child is even ready to try them. I, as you probably know have done child led solids and trusted him not to bite off more than he could chew and have never had a problem. But I didn't give my baby ANY food other than BM until he had exhibited all the sign LLL said I should before introducing them....I was pretty sure Jeff's Hope had waited until her baby had teeth as well....I thought I remebered reading that in her posts in solids....
    Oh gads no - i started a thread saying she had NO teeth...lol

I have let her be the lead on solids - and waited 9 months before anything - but teeth are not a thing i have ever read as a "must have" before starting solids. And if i gave dd a choice she would bite off WAY more than she could chew. I have diced and shreaded just about everything you can think of.

the LLL site lists teeth as being among the signs that your child is even ready to try them.
    Link please?

I started DS on some solids a little over a week ago (5.5 mos) b/c I thought he was ready. I fully intended him to tell me if he was ready when we sat him in his high chair. We started with avocado (suggested by p-t-m). He took the spoon and eagerly fed himself. I have not yet put anything in his mouth - he has done all the work and is loving it. He has also "chewed" this food even though he has no teeth yet. There has been no choking/gagging incidences. I believe that he is ready despite not having any teeth and I consider this a "baby-led" approach.

I agree that feeding with the mesh strainers as a rule will hinder solid-feeding development. That said, I have one that I have not yet used but am planning on shortly. DS will still have his meal time when he sits and learns to eat solids. The mesh feeder will be used on an intermittent, supplemental basis. I'm not anticipating a problem with that.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Cool Re: Mesh feeder thingies

Quote Originally Posted by Amber
    We use these as teethers for DD and just put ice or momscicles in them. She really seems to like it and since we're not using it for foods, she still gets to progress developmentally with finger foods.
    Are momsicles frozen breastmilk? That's genius!!

I use frozen bananas- they help with her teething and she loves them.