Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Mesh feeder thingies

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,449

    Default Mesh feeder thingies

    Does anyone have any experience using those mesh feeder things? If so, what did you put in it for your LO to suck on? I bought some "Munchkin" ones today and plan on trying them out in a few weeks. My SIL used apples, any other suggestions?

    TIA!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    117

    Default Re: Mesh feeder thingies

    if you're okay with using canned pears those work really well in the mesh feeders so do fresh bananas, boiled or canned peas, or boiled/sauteed carrots.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    COUGARTOWN Baby! From here on in!
    Posts
    17,465

    Default Re: Mesh feeder thingies

    I was advised against these things at my hospital and in my childrearing class as they don't allow a child to properly explore food and learn to chew and swallow which are some of the most important reasons that we introduce solids this 1st year. I have heard similar things here. Though I have heard here of them being used for the Momsicles.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    18,063

    Default Re: Mesh feeder thingies

    I just wonder how on earth you get it clean?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,645

    Default Re: Mesh feeder thingies

    We use these as teethers for DD and just put ice or momscicles in them. She really seems to like it and since we're not using it for foods, she still gets to progress developmentally with finger foods.
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    435

    Default Re: Mesh feeder thingies

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom
    I was advised against these things at my hospital and in my childrearing class as they don't allow a child to properly explore food and learn to chew and swallow which are some of the most important reasons that we introduce solids this 1st year. I have heard similar things here. Though I have heard here of them being used for the Momsicles.
    Once your baby has teeth and chewing and ingesting food IS the goal - then yes i would agree. BUT - before this point - the are much better than yoru child choking on small bits of things that slip down or giving them jar baby food.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Mesh feeder thingies

    My son loves them. I usually will put fruit slices or grapes. They are nice for eating out too. I got the salad bar and put some peas in it and a slice of peach. I usually just run it through the dishwasher to get it clean. Sometimes I'll need to hand wash it but I like them and would recommend them. My son keeps choking on the fruit slices (like cantelope) so I put them in the mesh thing and it works good.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    COUGARTOWN Baby! From here on in!
    Posts
    17,465

    Default Re: Mesh feeder thingies

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffs_hope
    Once your baby has teeth and chewing and ingesting food IS the goal - then yes i would agree. BUT - before this point - the are much better than yoru child choking on small bits of things that slip down or giving them jar baby food.
    How would he learn to chew and ingest if I didn't give him food to explore w?
    And if your waiting for all the signs that your child is ready for solids (TEETH, sitting up unassisted, the pincher grasp ect.) How would this be an issue?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    284

    Default Re: Mesh feeder thingies

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom
    How would he learn to chew and ingest if I didn't give him food to explore w?
    And if your waiting for all the signs that your child is ready for solids (TEETH, sitting up unassisted, the pincher grasp ect.) How would this be an issue?
    I think if a person wanted to give fresh fruit, the baby could gum it through the mesh feeder. For instance my ds sometimes wants a piece of fruit I'm eating and isn't ready to chew it properly without choking yet so the feeder would come in handy in that case. I think like everything else we need to use/do things in moderation and it's usually not a problem. If you fed your baby only with a mesh feeder, then yes I think that would probably create feeding problems later on.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    COUGARTOWN Baby! From here on in!
    Posts
    17,465

    Default Re: Mesh feeder thingies

    Okay.
    I just feel like everyone here does soo much research before introducing solids and the LLL site lists teeth as being among the signs that your child is even ready to try them. I, as you probably know have done child led solids and trusted him not to bite off more than he could chew and have never had a problem. But I didn't give my baby ANY food other than BM until he had exhibited all the sign LLL said I should before introducing them....I was pretty sure Jeff's Hope had waited until her baby had teeth as well....I thought I remebered reading that in her posts in solids....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •