Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mesh feeder thingies

Default Mesh feeder thingies

Does anyone have any experience using those mesh feeder things? If so, what did you put in it for your LO to suck on? I bought some "Munchkin" ones today and plan on trying them out in a few weeks. My SIL used apples, any other suggestions?

TIA!

Default Re: Mesh feeder thingies

if you're okay with using canned pears those work really well in the mesh feeders so do fresh bananas, boiled or canned peas, or boiled/sauteed carrots.

I was advised against these things at my hospital and in my childrearing class as they don't allow a child to properly explore food and learn to chew and swallow which are some of the most important reasons that we introduce solids this 1st year. I have heard similar things here. Though I have heard here of them being used for the Momsicles.

I just wonder how on earth you get it clean?

We use these as teethers for DD and just put ice or momscicles in them. She really seems to like it and since we're not using it for foods, she still gets to progress developmentally with finger foods.
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom
    I was advised against these things at my hospital and in my childrearing class as they don't allow a child to properly explore food and learn to chew and swallow which are some of the most important reasons that we introduce solids this 1st year. I have heard similar things here. Though I have heard here of them being used for the Momsicles.
    Once your baby has teeth and chewing and ingesting food IS the goal - then yes i would agree. BUT - before this point - the are much better than yoru child choking on small bits of things that slip down or giving them jar baby food.

My son loves them. I usually will put fruit slices or grapes. They are nice for eating out too. I got the salad bar and put some peas in it and a slice of peach. I usually just run it through the dishwasher to get it clean. Sometimes I'll need to hand wash it but I like them and would recommend them. My son keeps choking on the fruit slices (like cantelope) so I put them in the mesh thing and it works good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffs_hope
    Once your baby has teeth and chewing and ingesting food IS the goal - then yes i would agree. BUT - before this point - the are much better than yoru child choking on small bits of things that slip down or giving them jar baby food.
    How would he learn to chew and ingest if I didn't give him food to explore w?
    And if your waiting for all the signs that your child is ready for solids (TEETH, sitting up unassisted, the pincher grasp ect.) How would this be an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom
    How would he learn to chew and ingest if I didn't give him food to explore w?
    And if your waiting for all the signs that your child is ready for solids (TEETH, sitting up unassisted, the pincher grasp ect.) How would this be an issue?
    I think if a person wanted to give fresh fruit, the baby could gum it through the mesh feeder. For instance my ds sometimes wants a piece of fruit I'm eating and isn't ready to chew it properly without choking yet so the feeder would come in handy in that case. I think like everything else we need to use/do things in moderation and it's usually not a problem. If you fed your baby only with a mesh feeder, then yes I think that would probably create feeding problems later on.

Okay.
    I just feel like everyone here does soo much research before introducing solids and the LLL site lists teeth as being among the signs that your child is even ready to try them. I, as you probably know have done child led solids and trusted him not to bite off more than he could chew and have never had a problem. But I didn't give my baby ANY food other than BM until he had exhibited all the sign LLL said I should before introducing them....I was pretty sure Jeff's Hope had waited until her baby had teeth as well....I thought I remebered reading that in her posts in solids....