Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drying bottles and tubing

Default Drying bottles and tubing

I am about to return to work and have started pumping a lot more (several times a day versus maybe once or twice a week before). I am wondering how necessary it is to let bottles dry completely before pumping into them. Is a little bit of remaining water going to do anything? (My daughter is 6 months old if it matters.) I have bought more bottles, but they take so long to dry and I am pumping so frequently that it is hard to keep enough dry bottles around. I figure a little water won't hurt but I wanted to make sure.

On a related note, does anyone have tips for getting the water/condensation out of the pump tubing? I have tried leaving the pump motor running for a few minutes to clear it out, but it hasn't worked very well. There is a lot of water in them because I had to boil them after milk backed up into them (!). Should I just sterilize them regularly to hold off mold?
    First time mom to Daisy, born 7/19/09
    Am loving !

Default Re: Drying bottles and tubing

I don't worry too much about the water. I try to get as much out as I can, but there are always some left in there.
    My little surprise born 2 December 2009 7 lbs 1 oz 20 inches.

Our goal is 1 year, but I'm willing to go 2!

How many times a day will you pump at work? For a while I was weird about the water and would have two bottles for every time I pumped, so it wasn't an issue. Then it got old to be washing so many bottles. So I started using one for every time and then an extra for the other side - and had water in the milk. It really depends on your comfort level.

On the tubing - is there a lot of water in there? I sterilized mine once and there is still moisture in there - after at least 6 more months of pumping! I just look at it to make sure there isn't any mold.

How did you get milk in the tubing?? I know that it can happen, but never experienced it.

Oh - and some mama's just refrigerate the bottles and don't rinse them at all.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I'm going to pump at least 2x at work, maybe 3x, but I am also trying to pump first thing in the morning (a couple hours before my daughter gets up) and first thing before I go to bed. I've just noticed that stuff won't always even dry fully overnight (about 7 hours between pumpings), so I don't see any real way to make sure everything is totally dry. I have no personal qualms about there being a little water left as long as it's hygienic - I couldn't think of a reason why a little water would ever hurt the baby or mess with my milk's freshness, but just wanted to make sure so I can relax about it.

There is not a LOT of water in the tubing, but I can definitely see it. I guess as long as mold doesn't develop, it's ok? How the milk got in there: I wasn't paying attention one day when pumping and I had the bottles balanced against a table edge so I could turn the pages of a book. I didn't have the things angled downward enough, so a bunch of milk built up in the horns instead of going into the bottles while I wasn't looking, and it shot back through the tubes. WHOOPS. I'm just glad the motor still works, I would have died if I somehow ruined the pump doing that!!
    Am loving !

What kind of pump do you have? If you have a Medela pump, I think you can get a new motor for $40. In case this happens in the future

I've almost done that before. I think that is just about the only way milk will get into the motor.

The water won't hurt anything. Do you use those steam bags? Or a microwave steam sterilizer? I used that once a day on the horns and stuff - you could always do that with the bottles too, if you want. That seems excessive to me, though.

Good luck with pumping! When do you have to return to work?
    Tracie

Mommy to

I used to do exactly what Tracie mentioned. Can you just refridgerate your entire bottle milk in between pumping sessions and not worry about rinsing them? I just to put the bottle with the flange still attached into the fridge and just remove it before my next pumping session.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

As far as the tubes, you can add a little of alcohol to the tubing and then run the pump. It should dry up then. That is what my pump manual says to do if the water wont dry up.
    Mom of three and one currently . I at work at home and

Diddo on the alcohol. I pour a little rubbing alcohol in the tubing after washing and go outside and swing them around like a man woman until the alcohol has ran all the way through. Lay them out overnight and they are dry in the morning.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*metimesthree View Post
    As far as the tubes, you can add a little of alcohol to the tubing and then run the pump. It should dry up then. That is what my pump manual says to do if the water wont dry up.
    What a great idea!! I will do this to mine to get that water out of there!
    Tracie

Mommy to

Thanks for the good tip re: alcohol - I will try that; and I do have a Medela (PISA) so also good to know I can get the motor separately if it ever breaks down. I go back to work on Tuesday and am really hoping I can get a successful routine down.
    Am loving !