Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby feeds fine, but cannot pump...

Default Baby feeds fine, but cannot pump...

My wife breastfeeds, but she will soon return back to work. Our daughter is about a month old now, and she seems to be feeding off both sides very well, so well that the milk sometimes runs down her face because there is so much.

However, as soon as she puts the pump to herself she gets nothing. We have even gone so far as to have the baby latch on, and quickly replace her with the pump! That seems to work for about 10-15 seconds, then she won't produce anymore until the baby latches back on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

James

Default Re: Baby feeds fine, but cannot pump...

It sounds to me as though it's likely the flange/horn/shield (the part that actually goes on the breast over the nipple) is either to big, or too small. Does she feel pain when she pumps, do the sides of her nipple/areola rub or bind on the side of the inner portion of the flange?
    Hi, I'm Cyndie. Married my , Tony.

Lydia--15 mo and still nursing

Brenden--6.5 yo bf for 6 months

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Brittany--12.5 yo bf for 6 weeks

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount

PP has good questions...also, what kind of a pump does she have?
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

What type of pump is she using?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Oh, also, along with the poster above me, Is it manual or electric, double or single?

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount

If anything, the pump may be too big. She does not rub against the inner portion at all. The thing is though, at first our daughter had trouble latching on, so she had to pump only and bottle feed. The pump worked great at first, and we had too much milk. Now it is the exact opposite.

It is a Playtex pump.

http://www.amazon.com/Playtex-Nursin.../dp/B001LUDRFI

It is only a single pump though.

It sounds like your wife may need a better pump. Since she's returning to work, a Medela Pump in Style is probably a good bet. She may also want to see a lactation consultant and have the LC watch her pump- there may be something that can be observed in person that we can't catch via the internet.

Shields that are too big can definitely impact milk output. As a first step, your wife might want to go down a size and see if that helps.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with the above poster! It does sound like she needs a smaller shield. Is she on WIC? If so, have her ask about getting a pump from them? It's usually a Medela double pump in style advance. I recieved the backpack style.

If the shield is too big, there won't be enough pressure on the areola to press on and suck the milk out. Her nipple should NOT rub on the inside. The areola, when the shield is resting on the breast, should be slightly larger than the opening leading into the pump, from the shield.

I don't know it the Playtex pumps have different size shields or inserts to change the size, but I KNOW Medela does. You might want to look into those. They are so VERY worth it!

As the PP said, see if there is a lactation consultant nearby and try to get in contact with her. Here is the link to search for a local consultant

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

I was advised to NOT use the Playtex pump by the lactation consultant at the hospital where I had my daughter. She said that there is no "release" during the suction phase and that can seriously damage a woman's nipples over time.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.