Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low supply of breastmilk

Question Low supply of breastmilk

Hi, I am a new mother of a baby boy who is now 4 1/2 weeks old. At first I was able to produce enough breast milk for his demand. Now I am not producing enough. I have only used the breast pump because I have inverted nipples. He was able to latch on once but it really really hurt.

I have been pumping every 3 hours and my supply has decreased, but his demand has increased. He eats every 2-3 hours and is requiring 4 + oz. When I pump I only get 3 oz if I am lucky. How can I increase my milk production?
    I am also going back to work in a week or two. I want to be able to pump enough for the whole day. Any help would be appreciated.
    Jackie

Default Re: Low supply of breastmilk

Hi Jackie, and welcome to the forums. Congratulations on your new son!

I am so impressed that you are committed to pumping your milk for your baby. That is a real challenge and a lot of work. Can you tell us more about your pumping patterns? You said you are pumping every three hours -- what about at night? So is that 8 times a day, or sometimes less? What kind of pump are you using, and how long do you pump at each session?

There are some guidelines and tips that can help increase a milk supply -- it usually boils down to pumping more frequently and/or for longer sessions, and of course the kind of pump can make a big difference. Let's figure out what's going on there first, and then we can talk about herbs, etc.

I will also mention that there is an entire board here devoted to Increasing Your Milk, where you will find many mothers who are or who have been in the same situation.

About your inverted nipples -- did an IBCLC or LLL Leader take a look at your breasts and work with you on the baby's latch? Sometimes it is possible to nurse with inverted nipples, and sometimes it is not; I gather there are different types or degrees of inversion? I'm not well-versed in this, but I wanted to make sure you know there may be resources out there to help you breastfeed if you are still interested.

--Rebecca

Smile Re: Low supply of breastmilk

I pump every 3 hours during the day, starting 3am, 6am, 9am, noon, and then it varies depending on if he is sleeping or not. I usually pump again at 3-4pm. My last pump is 11pm before he goes to bed. I have a Dual Electric Pump, I will have to check on the brand name, but it was one of the more expensive ones-250.00-my first one died after one month. It was a baby's first years.
    As far as how long I pump, I pump until I am empty. Nothing is coming out of the breast.
    While I was in the hospital the nurses tried several different ways to get him to latch on including nipple shields. Now I am not sure if I want him to latch on, the pumping would be ok if I can just produce more. I am at my mothers house right now but when I go home I will find out the brand of the pump.
    thanks for taking time to help me. I will check out the other site you mentioned.

Jackie

Smile Re: Low supply of breastmilk

Hi, Jackie. I think it's wonderful that you're pumping for your baby. My advice to you would be to try to pump more often and for longer periods now, before you go back to work. I would think that it would increase your milk supply enough so that when you go back to work, your body will still think it will need to make more milk and hopefully you'll get more per session. So maybe try a couple more sessions during the day, in between the ones you're doing now. And each time even though you pump until you're empty, keep it going a little bit longer...the stimulation should tell your body to make more milk.

Being a breastfeeding mom, I can tell you that for the first couple of months, my DS nursed more often than you say you're pumping...sometimes every hour (cluster feeding). I swear I felt like a cow, but it was worth it and after a couple of months he nursed less often.

Also, have you talked to a lactation consultant about this? Hopefully one would have more advice for you.

Good luck!!!

ClaireDevro

Default Re: Low supply of breastmilk

Hi, moving this to a more appropriate forum
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!