Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: She's so distracted!!

Default She's so distracted!!

Hi,

I have a 5 month old daughter and she has nursed well since the moment she was born. I am very blessed to not have had any issues with her and nursing. It's been so enjoyable for both her and myself.

However.....she is getting to the age when she is noticing LOTS! Including the dog, any new voices, etc.... and turning away when she hears them.

I have read to nurse in a quiet, dark room. Ok, that's fine when I'm home and can do that, but any suggestions for when I'm elsewhere? She's not to the point where she'd nurse and play with a nursing necklace. She'd stop eating to check it out rather than just touching it while eating.

My biggest concern is that she's eating enough. She's a quick eater anyway, but now with her pulling off to look at everything it takes longer, which is fine, but I just hope that she is actually finished when I think she is.

Anyone else run into this? Any other advice?

Default Re: She's so distracted!!

Lord that's my son in a nut shell! Try a nursing necklace. STring together colorful and textural beads on a long necklace and wear it while nursing her. She can play with it while nursing.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Maureen,
    How wonderful that you have enjoyed such a pleasant nursing relationship thus far with your daughter!

What you described is VERY normal and I think all moms and babies go through this at some time! It can be unsettling, though, if you think your baby is not getting enough.

Of course, the idea of nursing in a quiet, dark room is often helpful in this situation. But you are right, sometimes that is not an option! Planning ahead with some creative options might be a way around this. Maybe you could plan to nurse before leaving home, or think ahead to where a private place is that you might use.

During this stage you may need to offer the breast more, to compensate for shorter feedings. Also, you may notice your dd needing to nurse more at night. Again, this is normal and would just compensate for her more distracted daytime feedings.

As long as she seems happy, healthy and satisfied there is no need to worry, as this is a stage that will pass. She will soon become adept at keeping your nipple in her mouth and stretching it while she turns to check out the world, all the while getting the milk she needs!

Good luck!

My son too! He is almost 9 months and I was just saying today how much he has cut back on nursing since he has become so busy. The only way the he will eat is in a dark room with a noise maker on. What this has meant is that he gets his big feeds at 9 before a nap, at 12:30 before the second nap, I try again around 4 or 5 after the bath, and then before bed, between 7 and 8. Then he still eats 2-3 times through the night, which I really think is BC he is taking so much less during the day. There are rare occasions like during a LLL meeting that he will snack here and there, and also if he has a bump or something like that. He does take solids but not much, I make his food, so I will compare to the amount that he gets to not any more than 1 jar of a store bought baby food. I do give him a sippy cup of water to drink out of during the day, that is probably 6-8ozs, but not anymore so that the nursing is not compromised anymore. He is a little guy just 16 pounds. I have noticed that it seems that as they get older they are able to nurse better in public, also once the sling was helpful in preventing distractions. You know it is even hard for me to nurse in the car BC he wants to lick the window, play with the steering wheel etc.. Best of luck and happy nursing!

I have had really good luck with nursing necklaces for distraction. the ket is to be consistant and associate the necklace only with nursing. If he pulls off to look at it, then take the necklace off and don't let him play with it at all and try again in a few minutes while reinforcing that he needs to nurse to see and touch the necklace. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get used to it and for him to get to know what to expect. Also keep it only for nursing so it stays new and fun. It's a tool, just like a Boppy and can take some time to get the hang of.
    Lori )O(
    Extended nursing, home birthing, unschooling, Nursing Necklace making, WAHM to Konur 3-11-01 and Mali 6-16-04
    Leave Nursing Necklaces Feedback Here

Default I don't know if this will help, but

I use a light breathable blanket and drape it over his head while nursing in public. It really helps him remain focused. I also try to go somewhere a little less noisy so that there is less to distract him.

My dd started doing this at about 5mths. She started nursing more at night to make up for the day. She is 7mths now and has gotten better at ignoring distractions. She checks out what's going on and goes back to nursing. I public I cover her with a blanket to minimize distractions. Sometimes she takes off the blanket, but it has helped.

Sara