Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Manual vs. Electric Pump

Default Manual vs. Electric Pump

I'm trying to decide if I need a pump. I'm a planner so I have some time (not due until July) EPs are expensive, but I know I'm going to be back to work 2 to 3 months after the baby is born. Does anyone have any advice to point me in one direction or another?

Thanks!
    MP

Default Re: Manual vs. Electric Pump

Double Electric. I only work 2-3 days a week and I still couldn't do without it. Check with your health insurance company many of them cover them as durable medical goods.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Electric! Manual pumps, in my opinion, are really only good for the rare occasion. Electric is the only way to go if you need to pump with any regularity especially if you need to keep your supply up.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

OK so I am still but a little more detail as to why. It takes me at least 20 mins to pump with a double electric (PISA) so I cannot imagine how long it would take with a single manual. I cannot afford to take time from work so...

Also, A PISA seems expensive until you look at the alternative - formula. The price alone is enough but...then there is the time it takes, the health issues etc, etc
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

If you're pumping regularly at work - IMO you need a double electric.

I have a manual as a back-up and it takes WAY longer to pump what I'd need for my LO when he's at day care.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

If you will be working, double electric is the WAY to go. There is no way I could provide my LO with what she needs with a manual. Too much labor involved.

An electric pump would definately be the way to go. I would buy the best one you can afford.

That being said: I've seen a lot of people buy expensive pumps and then for whatever reason, not be able to breastfeed. Be sure it is an investment you will use!

Good Luck! My son is 6 months old, and breastfeeding him is such a joy!

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

I totally agree on the electric pump! I work full time and I could hook myself up to the pump at work and keep typing, reading, filing, etc.

I had a manual pump too which was handy for the rare nursing strike or outing without my LO. I cannot imagine having to use it everyday, 2-3 times a day at work.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut