Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I be concerned?

Default Should I be concerned?

I'm obssesed. I had supply issues with my DD due to her being chronicly ill and not getting off to a good start.

I have a 7wk old (HEALTHY) little boy. I have had great success BF this time. Unfortunately I've gone back to work. UGH.

I work 12hr shifts but no more than 3 days straight (usually 2). We cosleep. I am fimiliar with the common tricks to build milk supply due to my struggles with DD. BUT I don't know what's "normal'.

I started being able to pump around 5oz with the first morning pumping session and then it goes down to 3oz the rest of the day. I pump an average of 4x's at work about 10min each time. Each day I work it seems to be getting less. I still get around 2-3oz but I'm worried it'll continue to drop and he will have to be supplemented while I'm away cause I can't keep up. He's a piglet with the bottle (yes, slow flow nipple).

Is this normal for it to drop so fast? Should I try and pump MORE? My supply seems SO sensitive. If I accidently skip a meal one time it seems to affect it! He seems fine when I'm home with him. He has always gotten a bit fussy in the evenings and wants to nurse all the time then, but we just nurse through it.

Am I overreacting? I tend to do that with all the issues I had with DD.

Default Re: Should I be concerned?

and congrats on your little boy!

How many ounces a day are you pumping? And do you mean that the second day you pump less, or at the next session?

5 ounces is on the high end. How much does your son drink while away from you?

I think that your output sounds normal. Is there any way you can pump for longer than 10 minutes? Sometimes you can get another letdown if you go 5 minutes past when the milk stops.

Some women's supply evens out around 6 weeks, which could have caused the drop in pumping you see.

Have you been over to kellymom? Here's a link on pumping output...
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Is there any way you can pump for longer than 10 minutes? Sometimes you can get another letdown if you go 5 minutes past when the milk stops.

Some women's supply evens out around 6 weeks, which could have caused the drop in pumping you see.
    These two things are what I was going to say. I try and pump through 2 letdowns per side. That usually means 15-20 minutes. But it's worth it!

Mama! Sounds like you are doing great!
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

and congrats on your little boy!

How many ounces a day are you pumping? And do you mean that the second day you pump less, or at the next session?

5 ounces is on the high end. How much does your son drink while away from you?

I think that your output sounds normal. Is there any way you can pump for longer than 10 minutes? Sometimes you can get another letdown if you go 5 minutes past when the milk stops.

Have you been over to kellymom? Here's a link on pumping output...
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    Thanks!

I think my average is about 11-14oz in the 12hrs I'm away. I only get 4-5oz the very first pumping of the day (though I do feed him just before I leave). Then I get 2-3oz the rest of the time. I've tried pumping around 15 min but I don't notice a difference. I usually have 2 let downs in the 10 mins. I've also tried some compressions.

I notice a decrease both in subsequent pumpings and with each day I work. Today I've pumped less than ever. I've only been back at work 4 days with 2 off days breaking them up.

He's not really consistant in how much he eats. He's a bit of a snacker with me. The first 2 days I outproduced his intake, then I met it, then I underproduced.

How much is he eating? If he's away from you for 12 hours, you can aim for 12 ounces, he should take 1 to 1.5 ounces an hour away from you.

Breast compressions. That's the way to go for me. I basically have to squeeze the heck out of my boobs the whole time. Actually, maybe I don't. But I figured out early on that the milk came out fast that way.

The thing with pumping longer every time is that your body will get the message to make more milk at that time, even if you don't have it right now.

Have you tried eating oatmeal? Are you pumping on your days off? Maybe if you could pump once a day on your days off you would feel less stressed about the amount you are producing on your days at work - which will also lead to you having more milk to pump while you are at work. Hope that made sense.

Sorry to ask you so many questions!!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

How much is he eating? If he's away from you for 12 hours, you can aim for 12 ounces, he should take 1 to 1.5 ounces an hour away from you.

Breast compressions. That's the way to go for me. I basically have to squeeze the heck out of my boobs the whole time. Actually, maybe I don't. But I figured out early on that the milk came out fast that way.

The thing with pumping longer every time is that your body will get the message to make more milk at that time, even if you don't have it right now.

Have you tried eating oatmeal? Are you pumping on your days off? Maybe if you could pump once a day on your days off you would feel less stressed about the amount you are producing on your days at work - which will also lead to you having more milk to pump while you are at work. Hope that made sense.

Sorry to ask you so many questions!!
    Oh your fine!
    I am eating the heck out of some oatmeal....gave myself the excuse to make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies too. for cookies. lol. I haven't pumped on my days off. I think you're right, this may be the key.

I'm just so gun shy. I had the hardest time before and don't want to deal with that again. Plus I really really really want to BF untill he's AT LEAST a year.

I will start pumping when I at home at least once a day, maybe this will help us find our "sweet spot". Thanks for the suggestion.