Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: feeding herself (questions!)

Default feeding herself (questions!)

So, we hit 6 months (almost 7 now!). As it turns out, Elizabeth hates a bottle. So, totally unplanned, we ended up ecologically breastfeeding. She got her pincer grasp about a week before 6 months, and spent the next two weeks showing everyone. (Practicing it all day, it was SO CUTE.) Anyway!

She seems to know what you do with a spoon from watching us, when I put food on it she zips that puppy right into her mouth. So when I was introducing some mushy baby food solids, I just put some on the high-chair tray, put some on the spoon, and let her do whatever she wanted. Mess aside, are there any reasons not to do this? I figure she's having fun, and eating however much she wants to.

Maybe I took someone too literally when they said solids was for fun before a year.

Default Re: feeding herself (questions!)

Yes, they are SO adorable when practicing their pincer grip

I think what your LO is doing sounds perfect! She's learning about tastes and textures and developing her motor skills at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenni View Post
    She seems to know what you do with a spoon from watching us, when I put food on it she zips that puppy right into her mouth. So when I was introducing some mushy baby food solids, I just put some on the high-chair tray, put some on the spoon, and let her do whatever she wanted. Mess aside, are there any reasons not to do this? I figure she's having fun, and eating however much she wants to.

Maybe I took someone too literally when they said solids was for fun before a year.
    I'd say that was pretty much how I'm going with it, and it is working out fantastically! Let the games begin (or continue!). After a month and a half or so, my kid finally has some solid poop (wow, stinkier but so much easier to clean off) and has been eating like a hungry person. Go with it!
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eris View Post
    I'd say that was pretty much how I'm going with it, and it is working out fantastically! Let the games begin (or continue!). After a month and a half or so, my kid finally has some solid poop (wow, stinkier but so much easier to clean off) and has been eating like a hungry person. Go with it!
    I'm looking forward to and dreading solid poo. We have this strange stickiness in her poo right now, it's like some of the orange just stays on the tushy. It takes multiple baby wipes. Just craziness.