Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No more bottle... ?

Question No more bottle... ?

My DD is 3 months and started taking a bottle of breastmilk from her daddy and grandma at 4 weeks. She typically would take a bottle a few times a week. Well, I attempted to have my first Mom's Night Out on Friday, and my mom called in the middle of it saying that she wouldn't take the bottle and I needed to come home and feed her. Of course, I did. But, now, she will not take the bottle at all!! She gets the nipple in her mouth and then begins to gag. She doesn't even suck... it's as if she lets the milk drip, drip, drip into her mouth and then gags it back up.

Does anyone have a tips to try to get her to take a bottle??
    I don't really NEED her to take it, but it would be nice so that I could have some free time.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Default Re: No more bottle... ?

Have you tried different nipples? I've heard good things about NUK and Adiri http://www.adiri.com/main/index.php. Our DS likes the Avent nipples. He has a strong preference for the breast but will take a botttle if I'm not there.

Does she currently have a slow flow nipple? It sounds like the milk might be coming at her too fast?

Just a couple of ideas - I'm sure others will be along with more suggestions for you.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

once my ds started teething, he HATED the bottle. and he has to have it b/c i work. we found bottles called breastflow made by the first years, and they helped, but there are still days that ds won't even let the bottle near him, i hate to say this but, he won't let himself starve, and as dr sears says, there is a difference in letting ds cry it out and ds crying in the loving arms of grandparents/fathers/ect...
    it is easier now b/c my ds is 9 months and will drink from a cup and eat solids, so if i am gone all day at work, he is ok, but he is latched on all night long when i get home. when i first went back to work, my dh made a ritual with ds, i wore around one of dh big white tshirts and it got mamma scent on it, so dh would wear that, he would hold ds in the "breastfeeding" postion, he would even go as far as to switch sides. and the bottles we used (breastflow) are supposed to mimmick letdown, so we thing that helped. also, make sure you aren't the one giving the bottle or even in the same room. those little angels of ours have mamma radar!!!! good luck

My dd is having the same problem. We have been trying different bottles/nipples. DH has pretty much given up trying which doesnt help me! I actually gave her a bottle last night and after biting at it for a few minutes she took it fine. But then when I tried again today she wouldnt have it. My babysitter told me that was my homework for this weekend was to try different bottles/nipples. the one she took last night was an elan, she took a dr browns bottle once, and a regular evenflo- but then wont take it a second time. Its getting to be frustrating!

She's been eating OK according to the sitter, its just taking her a long time at each sitting cuz she keeps fighting it. *shrug* makes me worried how weaning will go when we get to it!

Quote Originally Posted by FerdieJen
    My DD is 3 months and started taking a bottle of breastmilk from her daddy and grandma at 4 weeks. She typically would take a bottle a few times a week. Well, I attempted to have my first Mom's Night Out on Friday, and my mom called in the middle of it saying that she wouldn't take the bottle and I needed to come home and feed her. Of course, I did. But, now, she will not take the bottle at all!! She gets the nipple in her mouth and then begins to gag. She doesn't even suck... it's as if she lets the milk drip, drip, drip into her mouth and then gags it back up.

I don't really NEED her to take it, but it would be nice so that I could have some free time.

Oh boy, I can feel you. My daughter is almost a year old and hasen't taken a bottle since we left the NICU when she was 11 days old. Once we tried, so I could get out of the house, she did the same exact thing, and we tried and tried and tried, she just wouldn't take it, so we quit. Good Luck to you, I know this didn't help any....

Quote Originally Posted by FerdieJen

Oh boy, I can feel you. My daughter is almost a year old and hasen't taken a bottle since we left the NICU when she was 11 days old. Once we tried, so I could get out of the house, she did the same exact thing, and we tried and tried and tried, she just wouldn't take it, so we quit. Good Luck to you, I know this didn't help any....

My daughter is the same way. She used to take it when she was littler, but now won't anymore. And she goes to daycare 5 hours per day and waits it out for mommy. We've tried all different brands and everything. She is 4 months old. Now we are moving on to trying cups and have had minimal success with the Nuby cup recently.
    -Alicia
    Mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)

My son went through what I'll call a "phase" around that age where he refused the bottle. He was offered it only rarely. We gave up for a while. Then around five months or so, after not having one offered for I think at least six weeks, my sister in law was watching him for a few hours and had an emergency bottle that we didn't think he'd need. He got fussy and she decided to give it to him, and he drank all five ounces. While he still is only offered a bottle on occassion, he hasn't refused it since and that was in July. In other words, there's still hope!