Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I doing ok?

Default Am I doing ok?

I was almost ready to throw in the towel and start a formula supplement next week...but after reading some forums...thank you so much I feel better. Please let me know if my baby is getting the milk she needs.

My daughter is four months and I have been bf her fulltime. She was gettting a bottle of bm once a day from my husband. I just went back to work last week and I am already stressed about having enough milk for her while I am gone. I had my mom give her4 oz bottles while I was at work MWF. If I missed a feeding I used to pump out at least 4 oz,so that is what I was gauging my feedings on. I work from home on TTH which I thought would help keep up my milk supply. While I was at work pumping, I tried to pump every three hours. I only pumped out a little over 3 oz. I thought I was losing milk, but is this normal?

The baby also has been fussy after bf the last few days, so I really thought she was not getting enough milk. She is on a 3-3.5 hour feeding schedule. She usually wakes up once a night around 4AM for a feeding as well after having a feeding at 10:30PM. She has not really been sleeping through the night...is this normal for a bf baby? My son was mostly on formula and he slept through the night at 3 months so I am not sure.

I just want to make sure she is getting enough milk....all advice is welcome.

She is also getting two teeth on the bottom, they have both broken through...and she has a stuffy nose....which can all contribute to the fussiness. My mom takes care of her while I am gone so she has suggested giving her more milk....but she has really been very good while I am away.....not fussy at all. It seems like she's just fussy when I am BF her.

I just feed her about an hour ago......and she was fine so I'm unsure if I should even think about formula yet. I have about 16 oz of frozen BM, but my frozen supply is going fast.

Thank you for all suggestions.....

Default Re: Am I doing ok?

with pp. Also, when you are concerned about if baby is getting enough always refer to the diaper output. 5 good and wet diapers in a 24 hour period means that baby is hydrated and getting enough.

Also, if you read through these forums, you'll notice an awful lot of mamas talking about how baby's sleep changed at 4 months (I was worried too). But it's normal. Between growth spurts, teething and reaching milestones this is a really busy time for baby and sleep habits will change because of it. All normal.

FWIW, I'm a working mama too. My LO nurses often throughout the night to make up for what he doesn't eat during the day. Co-sleeping has saved us and it's real nice too on the days I work to make up for the time I have missed him that day to snuggle him at night.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Welcome! It sounds like you're doing really well, so I think you should probably put that formula back on the shelf for another day (or better yet, donate it to a women's shelter- they're always short of formula). As long as diaper output remains normal, then you don't need to worry about the baby's intake even if she acts fussy at the breast.

I have a few questions for you:
    1. What make/model of pump do you have? The type of pump you use can make an immense difference in output.
    2. What sort of bottles and bottle nipples are you using? You want to use the absolute slowest flow nipples possible, and you may want to look into using a "breast-like" bottle like the Adiri or Breastflow that's supposed to mimic the breast and reduce the likelihood that a baby will come to prefer the bottle.
    3. Is there any particular reason why your baby is nursing only every 3-3.5 hours? Many babies nurse much more frequently, and frequent nursing can help boost supply, so if your baby will nurse more often, you probably want her to do so.
    4. Can you sneak in another pumping session at work? The more often you pump, the more milk you'll get and the higher your overall supply will be. Check out this link on increasing the amount you pump: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

She has not really been sleeping through the night...is this normal for a bf baby?
    Not sleeping through is normal for all babies, formula-fed or breastfed. Your son was a bit unusual in sleeping through so early, but your daughter sounds typical.

She is also getting two teeth on the bottom, they have both broken through...and she has a stuffy nose....which can all contribute to the fussiness.

My mom takes care of her while I am gone so she has suggested giving her more milk....but she has really been very good while I am away.....not fussy at all. It seems like she's just fussy when I am BF her.
    The fussiness may be because your baby is reconnecting with you and wants your attention, or it could be related to time of day- you're coming home just when she's getting tired out. You might want to consider having your mom try offering smaller bottles more frequently- say a 2 oz bottle every 1.5 hours or so- and see if that changes anything.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Red face Re: Am I doing ok?

Thanks for all of the notes...to answer the questions...

The pump I am using is a medela pump in style.
    We are using Platex natural latch slow release nipples, the bottles are the platex drop in bottles. The Kaiser BF class recommended this type when I had my son a few years ago.
    We have the baby on a schedule per the book Babywise. It works for us overall. I do feed her sometimes in 2.5 hours if she needs to nurse. That usually happens at least once a day. There are also times she goes 4 hours between feeding....but I have been trying not to do that anymore.
    I think I can sneak in another pumping session at work.

I appreciate all of the feedback.....it's oatmeal for breakfast tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*evajjmama View Post
    We have the baby on a schedule per the book Babywise. It works for us overall. I do feed her sometimes in 2.5 hours if she needs to nurse.
    Hello, sweet mama, sounds like you've gotten lots of great advice and insight already. I don't have anything else to add, except for (and I mean this in the most gentle way possible)... watch out for Babywise! LLL does not support Babywise methods, and the whole concept of scheduling a little one's feedings can often harm milk supply and eventually the breastfeeding relationship!

Here's another forum with various moms' opinions on Babywise

My advice is to watch your lovey baby's cues, and not the clock. You may find your supply increases as baby's feedings increase in frequency. No need to wait for her to express a "need" to nurse. Encourage her at the slightest subtle request (opening/closing mouth, smacking lips, chewing fists) -- or even no request at all! Of course, her fussiness could be due to teething, growth spurt, all the other reasons previously mentioned, but it's possible you'll find her fussiness relieved by more frequent nursings.

Hope that helps. You are absolutely doing the right thing by reaching out to other moms who've been there done that. It takes a brave soul to ask for help, and we are all constantly evolving, aren't we?

Mama to Little Bear 6/2/06 , who's begun the fascinating process of self-weaning!
    Last edited by @llli*satra; January 11th, 2010 at 02:38 AM.

The pump I am using is a medela pump in style.
    Great, that's a good pump!

We are using Platex natural latch slow release nipples, the bottles are the platex drop in bottles.
    Great, that sounds like the right choice again.

We have the baby on a schedule per the book Babywise. It works for us overall. I do feed her sometimes in 2.5 hours if she needs to nurse. That usually happens at least once a day.
    Okay, so when it comes to nursing the big problem with scheduling is that it often makes a very bad combination with breastfeeding. Breastmilk production depends on the baby getting enough opportunities to demand milk from the breast. At first, a lot of scheduled babies do okay, because many moms start out with some overproduction of milk, since the body doesn't know how much the baby needs and therefore it errs on the side of making extra. But over time, scheduling means that milk frequently sits in the breast, and that results in the body reducing production. Because the mom is in charge of the feedings, and not the baby, there may not be enough instances of demand to maintain supply or boost it during growth spurts. So moms who are feeding on a schedule often notice that at a certain point their supply starts to slip away. This is why the American Academy of Pediatrics advises against scheduling (see their policy statement on Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk and their media alert on scheduled vs. demand feedings)

There are also times she goes 4 hours between feeding....but I have been trying not to do that anymore.
    Yeah, definitely don't let her do that! If supply is a concern, the more often you feed, the better your supply is going to be.

I think I can sneak in another pumping session at work.
    Great! And enjoy your oatmeal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Thank you for the support. I am pumping right now at work and have almost five ounces and five minutes to go. I think the support from this group has releived some of my stress and myself and my LO truly apreciate it.

I will definately look into the Babywise contraindications.....we are very flexible with her schedule and don't use the book as law...but is definately the backbone of our schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    You don't really need a schedule - just routines. By virtue of working you already have the groundwork for things that are unchangeable. When your LO is with you, just watch for sleepy and hungry cues.
    Exactly. Routines- yay! Schedules- nay!

This site has a lot of information on Babywise, and why people are concerned about it: http://www.ezzo.info/ (It's pretty damning, IMHO, so please take it for a critique only of Babywise and not of the job you're doing as a mom, okay?)