Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Which fruit is best?

Default Which fruit is best?

I was reading in my Dr. Sears nutrition book and I think I may be ready to let my baby try some fruits. Not a lot...but just for fun and experience...like maybe a teaspoonful a day. According to his book, she met all the signs of readiness, so I thought it would be interesting to try. I'm still planning to breastfeed her as much as I do now, this would just be a few bites to see how it goes. Anyway...I was wondering what fruits are good to start with...or even what veggies? Which are the least constipating and gassy? I bought a pack of gerber 1st foods and I have one jar each of bananas, pears, peaches, and apples. Thanks!!

Default Re: Which fruit is best?

I started with bananas. They are gentle to the belly and babes love them! Have fun!

Well, the "best" fruit really depends on what you mean by best. Avacado is an awesome fruit since it is VERY nutrient dense, high in calories and healthy fats. However, it does have a higher risk of alergies than some fruits. I think pears have the lowest risk of alergies. Bananas are a popular choice because they are so reasonably priced and so easy prepare; but some babies find them constipating (not mine, by the way). Both LLL and Dr Sears recomend banana as a first food.

We gave her a little bit of pear. It was so funny! She would open her mouth, eat some, and then make this really funny face!! Then she would open her mouth for more!!!!! She ate about 5 teeny baby spoonsfuls and then was done...she didn't want anymore. But she seemed to have a lot of fun doing it and she loved all the faces that mommy was making back at her. I knew she wouldn't eat much, and I don't want her to anyway because I want her to breastfeed just as much as she has been for now. This is just for her to try something new. So yay, I'm so excited that it was fun for both of us!!

We have given dd bananas and avocado to play with, and she thought both were quite interesting...she definitely preferred the taste of the avocado that made its way to her mouth. Our very pro-bf pedi advised us to skip cereal altogether and let dd play with avo, banana and pears, as pp mentioned.

Yea, my pediatrician is very pro-bf too and she recommended fruits or veggies as first foods. I don't want to do cereal really at all for a long time. I mean the point of this is for her to try something new and fun, not fill her up on cereals. I feel like the fruits and veggies would be far more nutritional than some cereal. Maybe I will try some avocado.

Quote Originally Posted by catherinesmommy
    I don't want to do cereal really at all for a long time.
    You don't ever HAVE to do cereal at all. We pretty much skipped cereal entirely after I realized, after just a couple of attempts, that DS didn't like cereal (even if made with breastmilk) and didn't want to be spoonfed. We also started with avocado.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!