Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lowered Supply?

Default Lowered Supply?

My 7 week old son had a rough week, he was constipated for two days... he was very upset, and not feeling well, so his feedings were probably about 5 minutes each ... and since he wasn't feeling well it was difficult for me to force him to finish a feeding.
    This went on for two days. I didn't have time to pump - since I was constantly with him, either nursing, whenever he wanted, which probably 5 minutes or so every hour or two... now, it seems that my supply is lowered.

I started block feeding last week because I had an OALD... now I feel like there is not enough milk now He has a ravenous appetite now since he is feeling better and I don't feel like I can satisfy him.

Is it possible that it is lower in two days because of this? If I continue to nurse him often, even if he doesn't get as much, can I build up the supply soon?

I have been trying to pump the past few days occasionally to get used to the pump, since I am going back to work FT in a week. (I posted a pumping question also in the pumping category because I am afraid I won't be pumping enough for him during the day - and I don't have much of a supply in my freezer!)

Thanks! It's kind of a long post but I have been worried. (And I know that stress is bad for the milk production - so I have been trying NOT to worry! )

Default Re: Lowered Supply?

It is quite abnormal for a seven week old, exclusively breastfed baby, to be constipated...were his stools hard, or just infrequent? If he's having hard stools, it's definitely something you want to speak to your healthcare provider about. While most babies have 2-5 bowel movements in the first months of life, some babies will switch to less frequent, but larger, bowel movements at about six weeks.
    The best way to judge whether or not your baby is getting enough milk is keep track of wet and poopy diapers. How many wet diapers are you changing per day? Baby should be having 6-8 wet cloth diapers/5-6 really wet disposables.
    It sounds as though your baby is going through a growth spirt. It can be alarming to see a baby who once seemed to choke (as milk sprayed in his face!) now nursing as though he cannot get enough, but it is probably nothing to be alarmed about. The best thing to do now would be to forget about the block feeding and nurse your baby frequently.
    Oh, and let us know if you don't get the answers you need about pumping. Many ladies on this board are seasoned pumpers and would be more than happy to help!

Take Care,

Tiana

His stools were soft, but very infrequent. The first time he went 4 days without any bm, and the one that resulted was very small, the second time was another 2 and he was in distress. He kept kicking his legs and crying, and refusing to nurse, or nursing for a very short period when he did.
    My pedi. gave me some suggestions to help him and he did clear up his problem.
    He seems to be nursing constantly now, but now I feel like he is getting more now than in the past 2 days.
    Thanks for the advice!

Glad to here that your ped was able to help...and that baby seems more satisfied these days. It's the law of supply and demand...the more baby nurses, the more milk you will make.

Tiana