Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New to pumping

Default New to pumping

So I recently got a $300 Medela double pump, and when I pump almost nothing comes out. Let down occurs almost immediately, but then stops after a couple minutes. Sometimes I pump for 10-20 minutes, and usually get only about 1 oz of milk (or less). I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I want to be able to pump enough to feed my dd ebm all through the night, but right now it's not happening. Any advice?

Default Re: New to pumping

How old is your baby, when are you pumping, and how long have you been pumping for? The answers to those questions really impact how much milk you should realistically expect to see when pumping.

Here's a great link on increasing the amount of milk you're pumping: I'm not pumping enough milk. What can I do?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You are still BF right? How long do you wait until you pump from when your LO ate?
    My little surprise born 2 December 2009 7 lbs 1 oz 20 inches.

Our goal is 1 year, but I'm willing to go 2!

I am an exclusive pumper...so this is just my two cents...

I have been pumping for almost 6 months. I have the Medela Freestyle pump. What kind of Medela pump do you have?

Do you massage your breasts while pumping? Compressions?

In the beginning, I ate oatmeal like there was no tomorrow. I also take Fenugreek and my midwife prescribed Reglan for me to help boost my supply.

How much water are you drinking while you are pumping? And are you able to relax while you are pumping? I know if I don't relax, I don't hardly get anything.
    -Andrea

EP for my surroguy since 7/16/2009