Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gas pains waking baby up

Default Gas pains waking baby up

Hello! My son is 11.5 weeks, and while it's common for him to have a gassy period at night, it seems like this week it's more intense and frequent than usual. Sometimes they wake him up at night, which is new.

We've tried Baby's Bliss gripe water and Mylicon, but neither have made a noticeable difference. He's not a great burper, though he's getting better after feedings!

I thought that gas pains would get better as he gets older, so I'm just wondering what could be causing an increase now.

I'm breastfeeding exclusively, and I haven't noticed a particular link between something I'm eating and the gas, though I'm not exactly sure how to tell.
    As a side note, I don't drink caffeine, but I'm vegetarian so dairy, soy, beans, etc. are a big part of my diet. Eliminating them would be really challenging!
    First-time Mommy to Henry, born 10/21/09

Default Re: Gas pains waking baby up

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tarheels View Post
    Hello! My son is 11.5 weeks, and while it's common for him to have a gassy period at night, it seems like this week it's more intense and frequent than usual. Sometimes they wake him up at night, which is new.

We've tried Baby's Bliss gripe water and Mylicon, but neither have made a noticeable difference. He's not a great burper, though he's getting better after feedings!

I thought that gas pains would get better as he gets older, so I'm just wondering what could be causing an increase now.

I'm breastfeeding exclusively, and I haven't noticed a particular link between something I'm eating and the gas, though I'm not exactly sure how to tell.
    As a side note, I don't drink caffeine, but I'm vegetarian so dairy, soy, beans, etc. are a big part of my diet. Eliminating them would be really challenging!
    There are a lot of things that can cause gas in babies. I wouldn't think it's your diet since he is almost 3 months and there hasn't been a problem til now.
    Some other things could be a little tummy bug he's fighting off, is anybody giving him a bottle?, experimenting with a sippy cup yet?, teething and about a million more. Is it only at night?
    Have you tried any gas excersizes before bed? My son was horribly gassy until about 5 months old. We regularly worked his legs and body to expel gas and it always worked better than all the gas drops and stuff.
    ETA: I would definitely attempt to burp more too. The gas that doesn't come up is gonna have to work it's way through the gut. All burps will help.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Thanks for your reply! I wouldn't think it's dietary either, since my diet hasn't changed and the pain is getting worse. I might try to give him straight cow's milk though, just to see if that makes a difference (though I don't have much beyond a daily bowl of cereal).

He has always had some gas pains, mostly in the evenings, but they've never woken him up. He does have little pains throughout the day, but they seem most intense at night.

He does get a bottle once in a while, and will get more as I begin work tomorrow. No sippy cups yet though.

We do bicycle his legs and massage his tummy, but I haven't noticed a big difference with that. I am trying to burp him better though, and we also have been placing him tummy-down on our forearms which helps a bit.

One other thought I had - I had been taking a daily acidophilus supplement for several weeks, and realized that I hadn't had one in several days. I wonder if that was actually helping him, and the absence of the supplement made his gas act up. Does anyone know if acidophilus can pass through breast milk enough to make a difference?

My little guy is a little older than yours he was born 10/6/09...and we had the same problem at 11.5 weeks. he was sleeping through the night before that. The gas was so loud I could hear it over the baby monitor.... and it sounded painful. We kept giving the mylicon and I cut out almost all veggies from my diet....excersizes.....warm baths relaxed him and I thought that helped a little. Try some tummmy time too. Sam cried when we were giving tummy time so we tried not to put him down for that long, but I thought it would help so I let him cry a little while he was on his belly and later that day he had a huge BM and then he was much better. Keep up with the mylicon...I found around that time that he was better if we gave it before each bf/ebm session than afterwards once he already had the gas. I have resumed my normal diet and if I eat something that may be considered gassy I give him the mylicon as a preventitive( not even once a day but maybe once every other) he has been doing well. Before that he did not seem to react to anything I had eaten. I would avoid dried fruits though.....I had them in a salad the other day and it seemed like he was starting to be gassy I gave him the mylicon and started the excersizes right away. I wonder since they were about the same age if something was developing in their little bodies that caused it??? Who knows...probablly just a coincidence.
    I'm Kelly,mom to Sam!!10.6.09: and Kate!! 9.15.11 and away!!!
    Married to Matt since 10.13.07!!!!
    Also loving my furry brown lab, Bo!!!

Thanks for your reply! I wouldn't think it's dietary either, since my diet hasn't changed and the pain is getting worse. I might try to give him straight cow's milk though, just to see if that makes a difference (though I don't have much beyond a daily bowl of cereal).
    Do you mean you will give this up? Not give it to baby right? I gave up cow's milk and it made a HUGE differance. I thought it was wierd because I could eat other dairy just not straight up milk. Maybe cut out that cereal and see if it helps?
    I have no idea about the acidophilus. Sorry.

Also about the bicycleing of the legs. Before bed each night when my LO was happy (this part is key, can't do it with and angry baby) we would bicycle the legs for a few minutes and then push knees to chest once or twice. When the knees got to the chest he would pass gas. Almost everytime We would seriously get like 20 farts out a night. My DH would also lay him on his back and cross his legs like Indian style and with them crossed lift his butt and hips with the other hands and rotate his lower body left to right, right to left. Then push knees to chest. We'd sing to him the wholetime and he'd laugh and laugh. He usually loved it and he got his gas out before bed.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zplum View Post
    Do you mean you will give this up? Not give it to baby right? I gave up cow's milk and it made a HUGE differance. I thought it was wierd because I could eat other dairy just not straight up milk. Maybe cut out that cereal and see if it helps?
    I have no idea about the acidophilus. Sorry.
    OOPS!! Yes, give UP the milk! I actually discovered cow's milk made me a little sick during pregnancy as well, so perhaps giving that up will help him. I thought I would start there and then see.

OOPS!! Yes, give UP the milk! I actually discovered cow's milk made me a little sick during pregnancy as well, so perhaps giving that up will help him. I thought I would start there and then see.
    That's what I thought. Just wanted to be sure. Good luck mama!
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together