Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: i want to go back to school but...

Unhappy i want to go back to school but...

i want to go back to school but i think its not possible because i am EBF my son. i cannot make a milk bank in the house because i cannot afford to buy a breast pump. do you think i should feed him formula? please advise me on what to do. thank you!

Default Re: i want to go back to school but...

You have a few options... depending on how far school would be from the babe... maybe you could nurse, go to class and then nurse again? Most calsses aren't more than an hour or so. You could consider hand expression, too. It's harder to get the hang of, but once you've got it - you've got it.

http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

I think returnginto school is an awesome idea, for so many reasons. But I woudl carefully weigh the formula decision. It's a slippery slope, because of the supply and demand issue. I think if you really worked toward scheduling it right you might be able to go to school and ebf.

Good luck!!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

How old is your baby? Breastmilk is best for at least six months. I think school is a good idea as well....but honestly if you'd have to compromise you Bfing relationship I'd consider waiting to go back. The health benefits are soooo amazingly great. I can't tell you how amazing it is to have you confidence grow month by month about them not getting sick. Plus BM is so superior to Formula and it FREE!!! If it's possible to wait another semester to go back I would. This time when they are so little is so short...you should savor every moment!

If you are considering formula because you don't think you can afford a breastpump, you might want to check out how expensive formula is. You could put aside the money you would spend on formula and get a pump instead pretty quickly, and a pump is a one time expense vs the ongoing expense of formula.
    -Alicia
    Mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)

Quote Originally Posted by avolk
    If you are considering formula because you don't think you can afford a breastpump, you might want to check out how expensive formula is. You could put aside the money you would spend on formula and get a pump instead pretty quickly, and a pump is a one time expense vs the ongoing expense of formula.
    This is the first thing that popped into my mind when you said you couldn't afford a pump! I looked at formula the other day b/c I was curious about how much $$$ it was. $150 a case!!!! Now, I'm not sure how far a case will get you, but my guess is not that far!

Can you look into renting one from a hospital? What about a manual pump. Avent has a great manual pump for about $40. It's not ideal if you are going to regularly be away from your LO for long periods but with diligence you could make it work.

I do think it's important to go back to school if that's what you want to do. It can only help both you and your LO in the long run.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

This kind of financial hardship associated with breastfeeding was discussed in this NYTimes article.

I think trying to space out your classes so that you could BF in between might make it possible. Perhaps there's a group on campus (a sorority, dean's office, feminist extracurricular group) that might be willing to be an ally and sponser a breast pump for you?

My mother-in-law returned to work and did so by hand-expressing her supply.
    Here are a couple of links: moms who have done it and a how-to.