Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How Much is Okay?

Default How Much is Okay?

My LO is 5 months. We started solids a few weeks ago...with avocado. He LOVES his avocado. Then we tried sweet potato, but he threw it up (I think he just had WAY to much) and the next day he also had one TINY TINY speck of blood in his poopie...so we stopped the potato. Then we tried peaches. He likes them so-so.

This is a two-part question!! lol. First, how much is too much for him to eat at one sitting?? He'll have 3 nice spoonfuls of whatever i'm giving him and act like he wants more, but I usually stop after the 3 spoonfuls because I don't want him to overdo it (like he did with the potato). Should I keep offering the spoonful of food until he tells me he's done? Or maybe he doesn't know when he's done?

Also, is offering him food twice (or even three times) a day now too much? The reason I ask is because EVERY time he sees me or DH eat, or anyone for that matter, he'll act as though he wants some, too. And i'll be honest, I enjoy feeding him and watching him enjoy it, too. I was thinking maybe breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner. Normally I just do "lunch" because it's not too early in the morning and not too late at night. I don't know. I'm weird.... I think i'd rather him tank up on mommy's milk rather than go to bed full on food...

Oh, and maybe I should add that he tolerates food very well and it's very obvious he enjoys eating it, too. When he sees his bowl and spoon he gets very excited.

Anyways, these are just thoughts I was having. TIA...

Breastfeeding my 4 year old

Default Re: How Much is Okay?

Bump?

It seems like every baby is different...I have been trying to figure out what is "right" too for my 8 month old. Below are some links to sites that I found helpful, but it just depends on your baby and what seems right:

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/sol...ntholdbaby.htm
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...html#frequency

Sounds like your LO is like mine and LOVES eating. Between 5 and 6 months, we were doing a couple tbsp of cereal a day then added an oz or two of fruit or veggie right at 6 mo. I think the important thing is too offer milk first and be sure solids are not making him drink less. We are actually trimming back a little on how much my son eats because he is starting to not drink his milk (I've had to pump and bottle feed).

Hope this helps!

THANK YOU for the links!

Here is one more website that also has helpful guidelines:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_age-by-a...y_1400680.bc#3