Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Introducing solids

Default Introducing solids

Hello everyone! I am a first time mom. I am here mostly to vent, get some support and reassurance.

My DS is 7 1/2 mo.. We are exclusively BF (my mom did not breastfeed us and my sister just the first couple of months) Their advise is not always very supportive to what I want to do and gets me great doubt about what I am doing.

My DS BF every 2, 2 1/2, 3 hrs.. and lots at night. Since we co-sleep I don't know exactly how often b/c we both barely wake up for a feeding but it seems that every time I wake up he is latch on . Anyway, all my friends are feeding their babies solids three times a day! My DS wants nothing to do with food and I don't want to force him. I try to give him solids only once (dinner time) since he does not seem interested in them. He will mostly play with the food (I puree like carrots, sweet potato or mashed like bananas & avocado) Lately he has even started to gag when I offer food. Should I be worry he does not like food? or that I am giving him a negative attitude towards food? I know that for the 1st year BF is where they get the nutrition but, my mom tells me that he needs to practice swallowing and chewing and that he needs the xtra calories. On top of it he is a small boy and does not gain much weight like my other friend's kids so I sometimes wonder. Also, I did not start with cereal and actually DS has never had cereal, but I know grains will be important in his diet. When should I introduce grains and which kind?

I know in my heart that BF and bed sharing is the right way to raise my DS but there is so much pressure from family and friends that I am doing the wrong thing. We co-sleep which I LOVE and my husband too but DS is getting so mobile that I am petrified that he will fall of the bed. His crib is right next to our bed and I would like to wean him from our bed to his crib next to us. I have tried and he will not have it. Any tips? on how to do the transition without let him cry it out.

MY DH is SO VERY supportive and I am so thankful for that.

So sorry for the LONG message. I just need to vent and reassurance about my choices. Any advice is appreciate it. Thanks!
    Mami of Benjamin
    BW = 7 lbs 2 oz
    2 mo = 11 lbs
    4 mo = 14 lbs 6 oz
    6 mo = 15 lbs 14 oz
    7 mo = 16 lbs 15 oz

We are lots of and

Default Re: Introducing solids

I'm mostly making sure that this is bumped for you.

Hang in there. YOU are the momma. YOU make those decisions, not anyone else. YOU know what is best for your LO. We cosleep, and for the most part WE decide what and how our LO is fed. You're doing the right thing...and just so you know the women here are AMAZING, and i'm SURE you'll get some great advice.

Breastfeeding my 4 year old

Default Re: Introducing solids

Should I be worry he does not like food? or that I am giving him a negative attitude towards food?
    No, it sounds like you and your baby are doing just fine. He's playing with his food and getting to taste it- that's all that's required to eventually create a kid with a healthy appetite for solid food.

I know that for the 1st year BF is where they get the nutrition but, my mom tells me that he needs to practice swallowing and chewing and that he needs the xtra calories.
    At under a year, solids aren't generally as good a source of calories as breastmilk is, since a) many solids are fairly low-cal compared to breastmilk, and b) babies rarely eat enough of even the most calorie-rich solids for them to be an important component of the baby's diet. And it sounds like your child is practicing swallowing and chewing- at his own pace, which is as it should be.

I know in my heart that BF and bed sharing is the right way to raise my DS but there is so much pressure from family and friends that I am doing the wrong thing.
    Why are they pressuring you? Are they afraid the baby will get squashed in your bed? If so, you may be able to reassure them by letting them know that you are following the recommendations for safe co-sleeping. If that doesn't work, smile and say "Thanks for your concern. We're doing what works for our family." If they continue to press, say "We're not going to agree on this issue. Let's just agree to disagree and not discuss it."

I would like to wean him from our bed to his crib next to us. I have tried and he will not have it. Any tips? on how to do the transition without let him cry it out.
    Have you considered using a co-sleeper crib? That way the baby can be right next to you, where you can touch him and comfort him, without him actually being in bed with you.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"