Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding, Solids, Sleep and Meals?

Default Breastfeeding, Solids, Sleep and Meals?

Hi all,

I am relatively new here although I have been looking at this site since my DS was born. He is 9 months old today!

This is mostly background info, you can skip to the question I highlighted below!

He has been mostly exclusively BF and slowly getting into some Baby Led Solids (BLS) but I have also experimented with making homemade purees and spoon feeding those, he did not like puress though. He has not eaten jarred food. He also mostly enjoyed sucking on food through the mesh bag which I was comfortable with so he could taste it but not choke. Sometime I let him nibble on an apple or cucumber, or feed him some sweet potatoes, hummus, some baby crackers and saltines with no saltine.

So far he seemed pleased with this. He sits in high chair at the table with me for breakfast and lunch times, and with us at dinner time.

Yesterday for his check up he did well. He is 28' tall and 19.07 lbs. The dr. asked me how long he sleeps at night and when I told her he eats about every 3 hours all day and night she said make sure to feed him 3 meals a day. She said that should be about a 3 oz. stage 3 jars of food. When I said I am breastfeeding she cut me off before I could say I wanted to mostly breastfed for at least 18 months and said, "Yes fed him 3 meals a day, breastfed after he eats."

She said now that he is mobile he will need the extra calories and that the solids will help him sleep at least 6 hours instead of only 3. She said it will fill him up to sustain him longer.

I tried what she said for dinner. I fed him about 2 oz of green beans. He did not sleep longer, actually he woke up sooner than usual! I realized it might have been hard to digest! I also realized that she totally derailed my thinking for a day! I allowed her "matter-of-fact" advice make me question my choices. Even like how I thought it's better to BF first then offer solids.

Today I started to think about all I have learned and read more about BLS, thanks to great links from this site.

Sorry for the long winded background info!

Here are my questions!

How long did/does your (mostly) exclusively BF baby sleep at 9 months old between meals throughout the night?

How often does your 9 month BF during the day?

My DS seems to consistently stick close to every 3 hours. Last night he ate a lot less milk because he was full on green beans! I so regretted listening to the dr.!

The dr. said he should be sleeping at least 6 hours through the night now, although she said some babies just don't want to. But I don't agree that less BF will help?!

How many hours does your 9 month sleep before needing to BF?

Any advice?!

Thanks!

Default Re: Breastfeeding, Solids, Sleep and Meals?

darn doctors
    My dd is almost 8 m/o and bf about every 3 hrs. throughout the day. It doesn't make a bit of difference how much solids she has for dinner, she'll still wake up about every 2.5 hrs (and bf), when she's not going through "rough patches" like she is right now. Sometimes she'll sleep for 4 hrs. and then begin the "every 2 hr" drill until I put her in bed w/us.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juliet1 View Post
    darn doctors

My DS is almost 8.5 months old and we are also doing BLS. He hardly eats anything! I tried to spoon feed him and all he does is stick his tongue out at me During the day he nurses every 2 - 2.5 hours. I know he eats a lot at night too, but since we co-sleep...I hardly wake up and I'm not sure what the longest time is between feedings at night.
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

My dd is ten months old and I was derailed at 6 and half months by advice from "expert". She was sleeping 4 - 6 hours then after I had tried soem ncss strategies and suddenly she was back to waking constantly when I upped from the odd meal a day to three.

The changes your lo is going through as he gets used to differernt tastes etc will affect him. There's no rush. He gets plenty of nutrition from your breastmilk. My dd and I have done BLS. She eats solids voraciously and breast feeds on demand (or is offered if she has not demanded) at least five times during day. On top of this, between 5 and 8 in the morning she seems permanently latched on and throughout the night she wakes a lot so more solids do not equate to more sleep!!

Trust your instincts and go at baby's pace. He'll sleep when he is ready and he'll eat when he is ready too.

Lots of luck

I am Sarah, mum to Daisy 21/02/09

Actually I was just reading today that solids can be counterproductive for sleep because then they can have digestive disturbances such as gas pains...

My LO is 11.5mo and is still pretty much EBF besides a few "bites" of whatever he can mash up in his mouth, usually around dinnertime because every other time of the day he won't hold still long enough to care about food.

At 9mo he was nursing pretty much every 2 hours and maybe at night every few hours with a lot of nursing towards the morning hours. I think it is perfectly normal for an EBF baby to wake up frequently.... those extra feedings may just give your LO the needed nutrients for a healthy development.. or it is for comfort and I think that is the biggest reason. Why is it that doctors seem to compartmentalize breastfeeding as just for nutrition? um... hello? Babies develop from love and touch! And BFing meet both of those needs! And also many people in our society have the goal of wean by 1 yr and start on cows milk. So.... in that case yes you should be feeding lots of solids at that point. But if your intention is closer to two yrs old then solids should be fed as experimentation only at this point. Plus I've seen soooo many children who had 3 meals of "jarred" baby food by 9mo and then when the child is old enough to choose what they want to eat they barely eat anything at all... and you wonder how they grow!

Just listen to your Mommy instincts!
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*janelle525 View Post
    Actually I was just reading today that solids can be counterproductive for sleep because then they can have digestive disturbances such as gas pains...

My LO is 11.5mo and is still pretty much EBF besides a few "bites" of whatever he can mash up in his mouth, usually around dinnertime because every other time of the day he won't hold still long enough to care about food.

At 9mo he was nursing pretty much every 2 hours and maybe at night every few hours with a lot of nursing towards the morning hours. I think it is perfectly normal for an EBF baby to wake up frequently.... those extra feedings may just give your LO the needed nutrients for a healthy development.. or it is for comfort and I think that is the biggest reason. Why is it that doctors seem to compartmentalize breastfeeding as just for nutrition? um... hello? Babies develop from love and touch! And BFing meet both of those needs! And also many people in our society have the goal of wean by 1 yr and start on cows milk. So.... in that case yes you should be feeding lots of solids at that point. But if your intention is closer to two yrs old then solids should be fed as experimentation only at this point. Plus I've seen soooo many children who had 3 meals of "jarred" baby food by 9mo and then when the child is old enough to choose what they want to eat they barely eat anything at all... and you wonder how they grow!

Just listen to your Mommy instincts!
    Couldn't have put it better

I am Sarah, mum to Daisy 21/02/09

with Janelle & Sarah. My girl didn't really eat much food until around 13 months. Now she eats a ton - for her - at about 14.5 months and still wakes every few hours at night to nurse. Sometimes it's for comfort, sometimes comfort and food.

At 9 months she was waking every hour. It got better around 12 months. There is a lot going on in their brains at that time, I think.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Urgh, I get SO annoyed whenever people tell me that DD will sleep better if she eats a "real" meal before bedtime--people like my own mother

When DD was around 5 months old and was still exclusively breastfed, she started sleeping through the night, for a good 12 hours, thank you very much. This didn't change as she got more mobile.

Now, at 13 months, she's eating quite a bit of solids but we've actually been having more sleep problems--although again I don't think it's related to food/stomach issues, so much as developmental ones, separation anxiety, etc.

Every baby is unique and will have different sleep/nursing patterns. Just follow your LO's lead and don't let your pediatrician mess with your head

Thank you all so much for your wonderful answers! The truth is that I did not feel concerned about DS eating/sleeping patterns at all until I took him to the dr. and she implied that he wasn't sleeping enough or even growing fast enough!

My little baby (who turned 9 months just 4 days ago) is so healthy, so strong, and so active he is literally about to start walking. He is so smart he says tons of sounds and even sings! He is so curious and so obviously healthy and growing and thriving in so many ways that it really bothers me that my "dr." didn''t realize he's doing just great as is!

Again, thank you for all reassuring me that my baby is actually normal! That dr. made me think he should be sleeping a minimum of 6 hours by now and eating a huge amount of "food", I personally don't consider that jarred slop food.

Baby is back on track and doing just fine.

The other thing that bothers me soooo much is that had I taken her advice, my DS would most likely only get HALF (if that) the amount of breast milk he's getting now. I don't think there are any single foods out there that can compare to milk at this stage of babies life as far as complete nutritional value.

This is a great site! I am so happy to find like minded mothers!
    Last edited by @llli*redkatbaby; January 12th, 2010 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*redkatbaby View Post

Here are my questions!

How long did/does your (mostly) exclusively BF baby sleep at 9 months old between meals throughout the night?

How often does your 9 month BF during the day?

My DS seems to consistently stick close to every 3 hours. Last night he ate a lot less milk because he was full on green beans! I so regretted listening to the dr.!

The dr. said he should be sleeping at least 6 hours through the night now, although she said some babies just don't want to. But I don't agree that less BF will help?!

How many hours does your 9 month sleep before needing to BF?

Any advice?!

Thanks!
    My DS is 8.5 months, so I guess I can answer as well

Sleep/Wake pattern: I think my DS wakes up every 2-3 hours to eat. But, we co-sleep, so I honestly don't know.

Day Eating: My DS is in Day Care. From the notes they send home with him, he drinks 3-4 oz every couple of hours. We also feed him 3x's a day for the most part. I normally nurse him first (except at DayCare) and then feed him solids.

Sleeping Longer: I'm not so sure about that. I think it's culture that expects a 9 month old to act more like a toddler, sleeping longer periods. Now, my family sees it as an issue because they were watching him for 3-4 days on the weekend and my parents weren't able to sleep (no breast to give him). But, the doctor should have no issue with his sleep pattern as long as he is a healthy weight/height/active/alert, etc. As long as you don't mind, I don't see why the doctor does.

Do what you feel comfortable with. Let the doctor do what they feel comfortable with with their own children Next appointment, if she cuts you off again... Politely explain that you would like to share your idea of mothering. If she insists you do it her way and doesn't give you any reason why it's detrimental to his development - find a new doctor.
    Last edited by @llli*gargoylee; January 13th, 2010 at 08:29 AM.