Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trying to Use Nipple Shield Extreme Pain

Default Trying to Use Nipple Shield Extreme Pain

Hi there,

My baby was born premature and was not able to latch on at birth due to her small size. I have bottle fed up until now, she was born Dec 1st and EDD was Dec 22. Doctors said at birth that she was an additional week premature upon exam.

I only started trying yesterday, we have tried to get her to latch on without a breast shield with no success. She will however, latch on with a nipple shield.

I could not continue today because no matter how much she is latched on I get extreme pain! She seems to be full on, but no matter which breast she is on it hurts to the point where I cannot continue.

Any thoughts on what I do at this point? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Default Re: Trying to Use Nipple Shield Extreme Pain

Congrats on your baby mamma!

Is your LO opening her mouth wide before attempting to latch on? You will also want to make sure her lips are phlanged out like a fish when she is latched on.

You can try making a sandwich with our breast and getting as much in her mouth as you can.

Are you able to visit an board certified lactation consultant? Or contact your local LLL leader. Hands on help is invaluable.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Hi there!

Thank you so much for the fast reply.

I'm pretty sure she is latched on fully, we had also gone through breast feeding classes as well. Her lips are "phlanged out like a fish" when she is latched on.

I can try making a sandwich out of my breast and getting as much in her mouth as I can, but the nipple shield makes that a bit difficult.

I'm not sure about visiting a board certified lactation consultant as my insurance is new as of the first and it took them 2 weeks to tell me that they would not cover my breast pump rental. I've been looking to see how to contact my local LLL leader. I am new to this website today.

Thank you so much again, I appreciate you taking the time to answering me.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*moretakitty View Post
    I'm not sure about visiting a board certified lactation consultant as my insurance is new as of the first and it took them 2 weeks to tell me that they would not cover my breast pump rental.
    I would call the LC or LCs in your area anyway. They may be familiar with your insurance, and know whether or not you're likely to be covered. Even if you're not covered, I would strongly suggest going to see a LC, preferably one who is an IBCLC- spending money on a LC now may save you thousands in the long run, since breastfeeding is so much cheaper than formula.

Are you pumping right now? That's vital for keeping your supply going. Pumping a bit before feeding may also draw your nipples out farther, allowing the baby to get them deeper into her mouth.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My advice would be to throw the nipple shield away immediately. It's only perpetuating the nipple confusion. As long as you are pumping and keeping your supply up, then you can "practice" latching without the shield. What they don't tell you is that the shield causes such pain. Think about it, your nipple is chafing against the side of the plastic instead of the soft lips of your baby. Not to mention, once you get her to latch with the shield, you will still need to make another transition to your nipple. My daughter was born 7 weeks early and the LC gave me a nipple shield. I was an exclusive pumper for 2 months until I ditched the nipple shield and gave her time to catch up to being in the world. Stay calm and don't give up! It will happen.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

My baby was born 5½ weeks early, and I used a nipple shield until she reached her corrected gestational age of 42 weeks. At that point I got her started with the nipple shield, and once she was well latched on, I removed the nipple shield. It was frustrating at first, because I had only marginal success (better on one side than the other), but on the advice of my LC, after just a day or two, I stopped using the nipple shield altogether, and my baby caught on just fine soon enough.

It can be frustrating, but my experience ended very positively. Hang in there. You are doing great!