Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sippy cup

Default sippy cup

My LO is 8 mo and we are doing BLS. He currently doesn't eat much at all, but he's having fun. Anyway, I just gave him a sippy cup today with his food...he brought it to his mouth correctly, but didn't seem to know how to get anything out of it. Am I supposed to take the valve off? I'm not sure how to show him how to use it...maybe taking the valve off would help?
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

Default Re: sippy cup

Lilah never seemed to get that you have to tip it up and suck on it. Taking the valve out would probably work. We actually just went with a straw cup because she thought straws were really fun and liked to drink water from a straw at restaurants.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

You could try taking the valve off. Or maybe show him with exaggerated movements on your part. My LO gets a sippy in the mornings/afternoons to kind of "play with" and get the hang of...every now and then he'll suck on it and get milk and look at me like, "WTF"???

I think if you keep offering it with food, he's bound to start understanding how to use it. Just my two cents.

Breastfeeding my 4 year old

Sorry to hijack, but can an infant really master a straw? How? Just offer it and let him figure it out? Is 6 months too young? If not, I plan to give him a cup w/a straw at his table meals!
    "My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary."
    -Martin Luther

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nursingmom View Post
    My LO is 8 mo and we are doing BLS. He currently doesn't eat much at all, but he's having fun. Anyway, I just gave him a sippy cup today with his food...he brought it to his mouth correctly, but didn't seem to know how to get anything out of it. Am I supposed to take the valve off? I'm not sure how to show him how to use it...maybe taking the valve off would help?
    Did he tip the cup up? They are natural lil' suckers, if you can get him to tip the cup up once while his mouth is on the hole he might figure it out... If you've already tried that, then yeah, probably take the valve off.
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

Thanks for the ideas...I think you are all right about him not tipping it up. I like the straw idea...I never even thought about that before...I'll see how he does with that.
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

My LO is 6 mo, and I did take the valve off for her. She would tip it up and just look at me like WTF MOM She also has one of the sippy cups with the squishy top-the spout is made out of the same kind of stuff as a bottle nipple, she likes that one, but it does make a bigger mess.
    Proud mommie to two miracle babies
    Rachel 2/24/06 7lb 13oz born at 38 wks
    formula fed with lots of love.
    And currently attempting to drive her mother crazy
    Morgan 7/4/09 8lb 1oz born at 37wks
    bf going strong!
    Baby girl is one year old! Where does the time go?

My guy is 6 months, and he managed to use a straw at 5 months. It was actually a mistake; I let him chew on my smoothie straw, and he ended up sucking in smoothie. It really made him angry.

I swore I wouldn't use a sippy cup, but the cheapo disposable ones are really easy for my son to maneuver. Not too much leakage if they tip, even though they don't have a valve.
    Mom to:
    Johann, Born June 21, 2009 8lb, 7oz & 22in nursed until 2 years old
    Lydia, Born March 30, 2013 9lb, 5.6oz & 21.75 inches

Nursed through hypothryroidism, IGT, and a SNS both times around

we just deal with a bit of a mess and give him an open-mouthed cup. we tried three different kinds of sippies AND a straw cup. he has a lot of fun playing with them but never seemed to figure out how to get water. so we help him by supporting the cup and taking it away when he's had too much, but he's diong MUCH better at it now. most nights he can drink all he wants without soaking himself.
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

I couldn't get L to use a sippy either, so we ended up with a straw cup (the regular kind, not the no-spill or no-leak kind) and she does great with it! It must be a BF thing.
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown