Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Family anti-BLS - rant/need some backup pls!

Default Family anti-BLS - rant/need some backup pls!

Hi everyone!

My LO is 3 mths old and EBF. We plan to start letting her experiment with solids at 6 mths or maybe a bit older and want to mainly do BLS with maybe some purees (we'll see when we get there).

I just had a VERY frustrating convo with my mom and am looking for some backup/resources/encouragement.

The back story is that my mom never BF (she wanted the "freedom" of bottles) and gave me rice cereal in a bottle from a month because I was "so hungry" and so I would STTN. She has encouraged me to do the same and is quite anxious for me to start solids so I no longer "have to" BF.

Today we were talking about solids and she was on about purees blah blah and I said that in fact a lot of people these days give LOs non-pureed food and how we plan to do BLS. Well! You would think that I suggested giving LO a burger and french fries!

She gave me a major lecture about how I was going to wreck LO's digestive system for the rest of her life because unless solids are pureed they can't be digested and how digestion doesn't work that way etc. She kept saying how SHE wouldn't do that - well, I wouldn't give my LO a formula/rice cereal bottle either but am not about to give her flak for it!

This isn't really a situation where I can "pass the bean dip" KWIM?

Does anyone have any good links/educational resources on this? Just looking for some backup/encouragement.

TIA!

Default Re: Family anti-BLS - rant/need some backup pls!

My son is 7 1/2 months and we are doing BLS. My grandmother was convinced that I was starving my son because we didn't start purees or cereal at 4 months. It is frustrating when others think they are right and criticize you mothering. Have you read the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding? Chapter 13 Ready for Solids has great info about starting solids and it is not advising using purees. This book is available on the LLLI website or also probably at your library. It is really the best resource I have found to help me with starting solids. I stuck to what I felt was best and ignored everyone else. I also plan to do baby led weaning which is also something I have had complaints about. Just remember, you are doing fine and giving your baby the best nutrition possible by breastfeeding and continuing to do so. Your baby your decisions. I would encourage you to check out this book and use it as backup to your decision. Good Luck!

I wouldn't normaly be this confrontational with a mom who just thinks she is doing the right thing for her grandchild, but when they accuse you of hurting your baby you have every right to. So...
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sidneyandreka View Post
    I wouldn't give my LO a formula/rice cereal bottle either but am not about to give her flak for it!
    Do give her flak. Bring up that current research shows that this is VERY bad for their digestive systems (I personally think it is one of the many reasons for the obesity epidemic but I have no research to back that up) and that we all do what we believe (based on current science) is best for our babies.

Yay to you for EBFing and wanting to BLS without family support (my ILs don't like it, but don't tell me about it)
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Never thought it about it that way - maybe I will!

I bought the Gil Rapley "Baby Led Weaning" book primarily for the information in it. If you have access to it, check it out, she does have some good retorts for why it is perfectly legitimate to do this.

Your mom is probably relating her information back to a time period when doctors recommended startign solids at a much earlier age (my mom apparently started me at two months with a ped. nudge) - and when you start a 2 to 4 month old on solids you DO have to be more careful because their gut is not developed and ready to handle solids yet. That is why we wait until six months to give them food.

There is good information out there about why and when to start solids, if you want to fight with her you can print the recommendations for starting later out for her. There is no science behind feeding purees first, that is just something that has been passed down from person to person. I did a LOT of reading before deciding how to start solids for my baby, and I have YET to find any evidence that purees are in any way preferable or even necessary.

You might mention to her the lack of evidence in her claims, tell her you would love to review any information if she has any scientifically based data for you. Everytime I tell someone that, they never come up with any and tend to shut up. If she (edit: DOESN'T) shut up, you can just remind her that you told her you were open to listening to FACTS if she can come up with them.
    Last edited by @llli*eris; January 8th, 2010 at 08:36 AM.
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

You can tell your mom that my pediatrician says that until age 1, solids are just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. They're not nutritionally necessary until the first birthday. After the first birthday, they make up an increasingly important part of the baby's diet, but the transition from needing only mama's milk to a majority-solids diet is a gradual one, with many babies not eating much solid food until well into their second year.

You might also want to ask your mom what she thinks babies ate before jarred foods were invented. Does she think caveman moms were pureeing stuff in their rock blenders?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    You might also want to ask your mom what she thinks babies ate before jarred foods were invented. Does she think caveman moms were pureeing stuff in their rock blenders?
    Kirsten, Full-Time Mother To:
    Veronica Nova
    8/9/2009

I am generally or or both
    I cloth diaper and nurse in public, proudly!

And with our ped's blessing, I'm raising a vegetarian baby who is half my height at 1-year-old!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Yes this. I was just coming to say you may want to ask her how she thought the species survived up until 50 years ago when Gerber showed up.

Way too lazy for formula

We are also doing BLS, but, I also put a little puree in a bowl and give DD2 a spoon to "practice" she has fun with it, and sometimes actually gets some to her mouth IDK, maybe that would help Right now, solids are really just for learning, the bulk of baby's nutrition should still come from BM.
    Proud mommie to two miracle babies
    Rachel 2/24/06 7lb 13oz born at 38 wks
    formula fed with lots of love.
    And currently attempting to drive her mother crazy
    Morgan 7/4/09 8lb 1oz born at 37wks
    bf going strong!
    Baby girl is one year old! Where does the time go?