Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I have some questions

Default Re: I have some questions

Thanks everyone.

okay I just thought of another one...

I've read that you can go a long time without having a period when you're nursing. Does that mess up your hormones or cause any issues I might need to know about?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*brandons.mom View Post
    okay I just thought of another one...

I've read that you can go a long time without having a period when you're nursing. Does that mess up your hormones or cause any issues I might need to know about?
    Nope. And just think about how great it would be not to get your period for a long time.

If you think about it this way - we are feeding our babies the way nature intended - doesn't it seem like anything that happens as a result is because it's supposed to be that way? It helps to naturally space children out.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

When you nurse you and baby are flooded with the hormone oxytocin - the loving/bonding hormone. Your estrogen levels are very low. That means less or no sex drive. The oxytocin makes me a laid back happy mama. I am still period free at 14.5 months. When Brandon sleeps through the night you are more likely to get period back then.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    That means less or no sex drive.
    that's so NOT an issue with me. No period sounds great to me, I just wondered if it caused mood swings or anything so I'm not surprised.

that's so NOT an issue with me. No period sounds great to me, I just wondered if it caused mood swings or anything so I'm not surprised.

Here here sister!
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

BUT - its REALLY important to know that you CAN get pregnant before your period returns!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

No. But lactating adds to the fierce mama bear need to protect. When Brandon cries, don be surprised if your milk let's down.

Sometimes the initial blast of hormone/change can lead to post partum depression but nursing doesn't make that more likely. Just make sure you talk to your foster mom about watching for signs of it.

:gives

I am so glad you are in a supportive environment. You are going to be an amazing mom. Keep us posted.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    No. But lactating adds to the fierce mama bear need to protect. When Brandon cries, don be surprised if your milk let's down.
    Or any baby for that matter.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous