Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I have some questions

Default Re: I have some questions

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*brandons.mom View Post
    wait.... what's wrong with an epidural? I was kind of going to get one. I think I'll probably be alone at the birth.
    There is nothing wrong with an epidural if you choose to get one. Just make sure it is YOUR decision

As far as birthing alone. Please do look into a doula (and just in case you've never heard that...a Doula is a birth professional who cames and supports you during your entire labor). Labor and birth can be stressful in parts and it could be a really nice thing to have another woman there who is with you and stays by your side to support you. A lot of OBGYN's can refer you to a Doula or even ask WIC. I have heard of some birth coaches being WIC counselors too. But I'm also sure that if you are in fact alone that the nurses in Labor and delivery will take extra special care of you
    If you are in the U.S., 2 other programs you can look into are Early Head Start and Help Me Grow (they should be in the phone book). Both support pregnant mamas and children birth to three. They can help with a lot of your needs as a young new mama!

Good luck! And I completely agree with the previous posts in that I am AMAZED at your preparedness to be a mommy. You are a very wise young woman and I am so happy you have found these forums! Please keep coming back. I know that we would all love to support you and little Brandon in your next big journey.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

wait.... what's wrong with an epidural? I was kind of going to get one.
    Here is another site with info on epidural risks. One big problem with all interventions, no matter how minor or positive they seem, is that they often necessitate further interventions, which in turn create a need for more interventions. This "cascade of intervention" is how many women are pushed from a birth that's going just fine to an emergency situation.

This is not to say "don't get an epidural" if you feel you need one. It's to suggest that the best tool you can have when it comes to birth is education- if you're an informed consumer and you know the risks of various interventions ahead of time, you won't regret your decisions later on.

I switched to doing all my classes online so I can stay with the baby, so I don't think I'll need a pump.
    If you can get a pump, do. Pumps can come in very handy- like if you run into a situation where need to be apart from your baby for a while, or a situation in which your baby won't nurse.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I really admire you and the way you are dealing with a very rough situation. You have an amazing spirit and I ache for the maturity that you have had to rise to at your age. No matter how you decide to feed your child, you sound like you are going to be an amazing mom.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*little.mama View Post
    This right here tells me you're going to be a good mom regardless of how you decide to feed Brandon. I'm so impressed with you and how you're handling things. I know moms in their 30's who aren't as mature as you seem to be. I'm just floored that after everything you've gone through your concern is how you can make a good life for your son.

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

What I meant about the birthing classes is that some of them teach really nothing at all about the labor process or ways to handle childbirth without meds. The local hospital here (with a 50% section rate) has a class that pretty much teaches about meds you can have during labor and NOTHING about how to manage without meds. It's frustrating because I know several women who later said they would have liked to have tried without, but the hospital pushed the meds so much they gave in and didn't realize they had a choice....and they had never prepared since they took this stupid class. A couple of them ended up with c-sections from all the interventions

Same class also teaches silly nonsense about breastfeeding.

If you want one, it's an option. But look at both sides to the issue. I recently posted two links on epidurals and their risks -- most of which the medical community will never tell you about --- in the pregnancy options forum

Get a doula.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

1. I think it's because sadly, that's the way most mothers end up going.
    2. They only try to talk you into using formula if you're having huge breastfeeding issues and your little one is losing weight. At the hospital where I had my daughters, the postpartum nurses were all VERY supportive of my decision to breastfeed with the exception of one who offered a pacifier to me when she was two days old because "it's easier to get rid of the pacifier than it is to get rid of the thumb."
    3. It's likely that you'll make PLENTY of milk, but new mothers (including myself) tend to be worriers and one of the easiest things for a new mom to focus on and worry about is her milk production. That can lead to a self-fulfilling prophecy; just relax and let your baby help your body work its magic. =)
    4. I think older mothers tend to research everything to death and are more knowledgeable about the true benefits of breastfeeding than younger mothers, but that's just my assumption and is not based upon any scientific method whatsoever.
    5. Just make sure you're eating a balanced diet with roughly 600 extra calories per day and plenty of water and you're golden, although I would suggest cutting out caffeine (and alcohol).
    6. Breastfed babies often eat more often because breastmilk is so easily digestible. I don't know how you feel about cosleeping, but it's wonderful for breastfed babies and their moms because mom can literally fall asleep while the little one is still nursing.
    7. I suggest you have nipple cream such as Lansinoh nipple cream on hand; other than that, if you're not going back to work, the only items you need are your breasts. If you ARE going back to work then you need to examine pumps, breastmilk storage kits, and bottles that are as close to Mama's breasts as possible.
    8. Some babies are allergic to some of the foods their mothers eat, but not the milk itself.
    9. My doc instructed me to continue taking my prenatal vitamins as long as I breastfed; as long as I take those and eat a balanced diet I don't have to supplement anything for my youngin.
    10. I don't believe feeding on demand causes metabolism issues later; I believe quite the opposite - but that's my opinion and I have no facts to show you to back it up.
    11. Breastfeeding will not damage mom's body as long as she takes care of herself. Quite the opposite - breastfeeding helps heal you faster and - I don't know about other moms - but I haven't had a sniffle since I've been breastfeeding.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*precioustori View Post
    2. They only try to talk you into using formula if you're having huge breastfeeding issues and your little one is losing weight. At the hospital where I had my daughters, the postpartum nurses were all VERY supportive of my decision to breastfeed with the exception of one who offered a pacifier to me when she was two days old because "it's easier to get rid of the pacifier than it is to get rid of the thumb."
    I just wanted to say, on this one on particular, I don't think it's the case very often that staff are super supportive of nursing. Most hospitals are not baby-friendly, and therefore are receiving funds from formula companies to push formula feeding. I know the hospital I delivered at, along with all the ones people I know have delivered at, offered no nursing help unless it was asked for, and would often give babies a bottle of formula and pacifiers in the nursery if mom didn't strictly forbid it. They also didn't do much even when help was asked for, and were always asking if I was sure I didn't want to give her a bottle so I could sleep, or if I was sure I didn't want a pacifier or for her to go to the nursery for "just a few hours" Not trying to say you're wrong there, I think it's awesome that there are are hospitals with such a supportive staff, but I don't think that's the case in most situations, and I wanted to clear that up so the OP was aware of all the different situations she could find herself in.
    I'm Shannon!
    Single, babywearing, barefoot in the grass mama to 3 wonderful babies!
    Abby 11-25-03
    Terry 9-29-06
    Kate 6-12-08
    and my Jack 11-17-02, gone to God at 11 weeks

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."

"I am going to be happy today, though the skies may be cloudy or gray. No matter what comes my way, I am going to be happy today."

I took a bunch of parenting classes and now I'm hearing other things so its confusing. I've been reading some things about breastfeeding and I'm pretty sure that's what I want to do. I have some questions though. everything I'm reading can't possibly be true. I don't have long to decide.

1. Why didn't any of the classes I took talk about nursing? They talked about sterilizing bottles and how much formula to use. They told us what kind of formula is best and gave us samples and coupons for it. we got diaper bags full of stuff from nestle. There's all this proof that breast milk is better, so why don't people talk about it?
    Some people take pride in their ignorance. I mean, if you were on a bus and someone was sitting next to you feeding their baby with a bottle and someone across from you nursing on the breast, which one are you more likely to look at/avoid looking at? I don't know why but so many people out there are just plain uncomfortable with NIP, so what's to say they nurse at home?

3. How likely is it that I won't be able to make enough milk? I've found a lot of stuff online that talks about people not making enough milk.
    After you have the baby, nurse, nurse, nurse, nurse!!!! The emptier you keep your breasts, the more milk they (your breasts) are going to produce! Here is a great link that will give you better insight on HOW milk is produced and what makes your body make more!

4. Does a mothers age have any bearing on ability to breast feed? I haven't found much about young moms nursing.
    Absolutely NOT! I was 15 when I got pregnant with my DD#1 and 16 when she was born. I fed her for all of summer break, and about three weeks before I had to go back to school, (high school) I began weaning! You can do it!

5. Do you have to follow a special diet if you're nursing?
    Not neccessarily! Go to this site. It has some wonderful pointers and a great tracking chart where you enter your daily intake and it'll tell you if you were low or high or right on target! You can even use it while you are still pregnant!

7. What sort of supplies do you have to have to breastfeed?
    Invaluable items include: nursing tanks from Target, Gerber Heavy Flow (I use them for over night to avoid leaking) nursing bra pads also available at most Target stores, a Boppy or "My brest friend" pillow with slip covers, recieving blankets or burp rags. That's about it! You actually don't HAVE to have any of these, they are just VERY handy to have.

11. Can breastfeeding lead to bone loss in the mother? My foster family claims it does. "the baby would just suck everything right out of you"
    I have heard that if you (mom) are low on calcium that YOUR body takes from your bones to suppliment milk production, but I don't know how accurate that is. I know calcium is a wonderful thing to have in your body while you are breastfeeding because the baby does need lots of calcium to grow strong healthy bones. Vitamin D is essential in the absorption of calcium into your body. So, it's possible you could be low on VITAMIN D and not calcium, if something like that should occur. I personally chew a tums or two a day, but I also have reflux.
    Continue to take your prenatal vitamins, while breastfeeding. The variety of vitamins in the pills provide your body with nearly everything extra you or your baby should need. Everything helps the absorption of something else, concerning vitamins. For example: Vit D helps with calcium; Vit C helps with iron; Zinc helps with Vit A; and the list goes on and on and on!!
    Hi, I'm Cyndie. Married my , Tony.

Lydia--15 mo and still nursing

Brenden--6.5 yo bf for 6 months

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Brittany--12.5 yo bf for 6 weeks

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamamommy3 View Post
    I just wanted to say, on this one on particular, I don't think it's the case very often that staff are super supportive of nursing. Most hospitals are not baby-friendly, and therefore are receiving funds from formula companies to push formula feeding. I know the hospital I delivered at, along with all the ones people I know have delivered at, offered no nursing help unless it was asked for, and would often give babies a bottle of formula and pacifiers in the nursery if mom didn't strictly forbid it. They also didn't do much even when help was asked for, and were always asking if I was sure I didn't want to give her a bottle so I could sleep, or if I was sure I didn't want a pacifier or for her to go to the nursery for "just a few hours" Not trying to say you're wrong there, I think it's awesome that there are are hospitals with such a supportive staff, but I don't think that's the case in most situations, and I wanted to clear that up so the OP was aware of all the different situations she could find herself in.
    Oh no! That breaks my heart! Not to mention that it makes me *very* thankful that I gave birth to my daughter in a nursing-friendly hospital!
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*precioustori View Post
    Oh no! That breaks my heart! Not to mention that it makes me *very* thankful that I gave birth to my daughter in a nursing-friendly hospital!
    Yeah it sucks. I had to fight them tooth and nail to make sure she didn't get anything other than BM. When I had my son by section there, they took him to the nursery to get cleaned up while I was resting and he had a touch of jaundice so they went ahead and gave him a bottle of formula-despite the sign we pinned on his little blanket saying BM ONLY Definitely looking into other options next time I have a baby.
    I'm Shannon!
    Single, babywearing, barefoot in the grass mama to 3 wonderful babies!
    Abby 11-25-03
    Terry 9-29-06
    Kate 6-12-08
    and my Jack 11-17-02, gone to God at 11 weeks

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."

"I am going to be happy today, though the skies may be cloudy or gray. No matter what comes my way, I am going to be happy today."

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    How's it going, Anna? Did you have Brandon yet?
    Nope, but I'm having some false labor so I think its going to be soon. I'm with my new foster family now and the mom is nursing a 13 month old boy. She had her leader talk to me about things and I have a doula who will go to the hospital with me now. So I'm more ready than I was before I think. I did find out that the hospital I have to use is kind of known for pushing formula so I have to be careful. I'm making signs that say no bottles or pacifiers to put on the bassinet.