Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: I have some questions

Default Re: I have some questions

The important things I learned in BF class was that BF takes Practice Perserverence and Patience

As long as you are determined to you will succeed. I was determined never to give my baby formula and she is 19 months and has never had it. We had some trouble in the beginning, but my determination got me through it.

Also important you have a good support system in place - people who won't just tell you to give up and give the baby formula. Always come back here. You may want to check out a meeting so you can have some IRL BF friends/support. Also the LC suggestion someone else made was great, most hospitals, if not all have them.

Also (forget if this was already mentioned) Try to get a copy of LLL's Womanly Art of breastfeeding. This is the Bible! It can be confusing if you are reading multiple things, BTDT - I think I read about 5 different books,but LLL"s was the best!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

The classes were parenting classes at a pregnancy crisis clinic. I'll still be in foster care after I have Brandon, but we have to go somewhere else before I have him. The family I'm staying with right now doesn't want a baby in the house. There's another family that will take both of us and they even have some baby things set up in my room. They already have some clothes and a bassinet and that sort of thing I can use. The new family is on vacation now so I can't go there until next week. I decided to go ahead and stay in foster care because if I do there's a program that can help me get into college after I finish school. And I need to go to college, because my job is to give my baby the best life I can. I found out there is a lactation consultant on staff at the hospital I have to use. So I'll ask for a visit. Also, I'm signed up for WIC and they have a class you can take on breast feeding. They don't have a class again until the 19th, but I might be able to go there. Thanks for the info everyone.

I really admire you and the way you are dealing with a very rough situation. You have an amazing spirit and I ache for the maturity that you have had to rise to at your age. No matter how you decide to feed your child, you sound like you are going to be an amazing mom.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

My answers are in pink
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*brandons.mom View Post
    1. Why didn't any of the classes I took talk about nursing? They talked about sterilizing bottles and how much formula to use. They told us what kind of formula is best and gave us samples and coupons for it. we got diaper bags full of stuff from nestle. There's all this proof that breast milk is better, so why don't people talk about it? Are you in the US? If you are talk to WIC who actively support breastfeeding. They should have some information for you. And of course your local LLL. If you are taking parenting classes aimed at very young or very poor mothers there is often an assumption that they won't breastfeed. Many chose not to, but often because there is little to no support for them. I have found a seriously patronizing attitude that only educated, wealthy, white women breast feed which makes me . Those are the women who are most likely to have strong support networks and the information to get over societies prejudices that's all.

2. Is it true that the post partum nurses might try to talk me into giving formula even if I tell them I don't want to use it? Why would they do that? They do it because they are uneducated idiots. Not all of them do it. When I talked to our pediatrician about it she said if they did to ask for a doctor to come and explain why it was medically necessary. That shuts them up quick sharp.

3. How likely is it that I won't be able to make enough milk? I've found a lot of stuff online that talks about people not making enough milk.I couldn't the first time, but have oversupply this time. It does happen and not just because you don't have the support or education but it is REALLY rare. Think about how few wet nurses there were a few centuaries ago - that is how many women couldn't bf.

4. Does a mothers age have any bearing on ability to breast feed? I haven't found much about young moms nursing. If you can ovulate, get pregnant and carry a child you have the right hormones. Other than that age has nothing to do with it.

5. Do you have to follow a special diet if you're nursing? Nope. You actually need to worry less about your diet when you are nursing than when you are pregnant. Always check with a doctor or pharmacist before you take any medications (even over the counter ones). Taking pre-natal vitamins and getting lots of dairy (or other vitD/calcium combination) helps though.

6. Is it harder to make a breastfed baby sleep through the night? Or are the classes I took wrong about how to do that too?Baby tempraments are based on the baby not on what they eat

7. What sort of supplies do you have to have to breastfeed? Not unless you are going to be away from your baby for many hours in a row then you will need a breast pump (again contact WIC)

8. Are some babies really allergic to their moms milk?
    Some babies are allergic to stuff their mom's eat, but that same stuff is usually in baby formula and it is much easier for you to stop eating than trying to get the VERY expensive formula without it in. It is very rare anyway. The reason you see so many here is because people tend to find this site when they are having problems.

9. Does breastfeeding supply baby with enough iron and vitamin D? I've read that you have to suppliment with extra vitamins.
    Despite what others here have said most bf babies need a vitamin D supplement. New babies cannot get enough of it from the sun on their skins (sun is not good for them in large amounts). Iron they have enough of until they are about 6 months old when you can start introducing solid food which is high in iron)

10. Does not using a feeding schedule cause matabolisim problems in the baby? I read that a couple of places but I don't understand how that would work.
    Never heard of anything so stupid. Babies have been eating when they need to (on demand) for as long as their have been babies. We haven't had clocks for most of our history however did we manage before then? )

11. Can breastfeeding lead to bone loss in the mother? My foster family claims it does. "the baby would just suck everything right out of you"
    It is not true, but I can see where they ot it from. A baby will take what it needs (nursing is just like pregnancy that way). If you don't have enough calcium in your diet a baby can "take" some of it. However, studies have shown that breast feeding mothers who have low calcium levels when nursing have normal levels again when they stop (some even have a boost). I am sure I can find you the studies if you want to show them to your foster family.
    Good luck and have fun, breastfeeding is difficult at first (not for very long usually) but it is the best thing you will do for your and your baby's health not to mention it feels so good (and makes things much easier)!!
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

my job is to give my baby the best life I can.
    This right here tells me you're going to be a good mom regardless of how you decide to feed Brandon. I'm so impressed with you and how you're handling things. I know moms in their 30's who aren't as mature as you seem to be. I'm just floored that after everything you've gone through your concern is how you can make a good life for your son.

There's another family that will take both of us and they even have some baby things set up in my room. They already have some clothes and a bassinet and that sort of thing I can use. The new family is on vacation now so I can't go there until next week.
    That is awesome! Anything REALLY helps, that way you can just focus on yourself and bonding with Brandon Seems like that family can offer great support and advice since they have children, too. Maybe you could really get hands on help there. I'm glad there are still people w/big hearts around, nowadays.

I decided to go ahead and stay in foster care because if I do there's a program that can help me get into college after I finish school. And I need to go to college, because my job is to give my baby the best life I can.
    That is a wise and great decision, mama! You're already being a good mommy! It may be rough, but I can tell you have your head on straight so you can DEFINITELY do it! Plus, I've never heard of people dying from being a mommy and student What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, right? Do you know what you'd like to study? I wish you the best of luck and much success!
    Last edited by @llli*juliet1; January 7th, 2010 at 04:39 PM.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

You've gotten good responses already.

I would suggest a couple things:

find out who your local LLL leader is where you are going to be when you give birth and where you will be after the baby is here. Go to a couple meetings to learn what reality is. Sounds like those parenting classes were probably full of bunk.

Consider finding parenting classes elsewhere as who knows what else was incorrect. I bet they talked about putting your baby on a sleep schedule.

Is anyone going to be attending the birth with you? They can run interference with the hospital, make sure you get a good birth, and then help you keep the nurses off your case.

And...beware of all labor and delivery advice too. Did they happen to be kinda, "sign up for your epidural here?"

I've just seen a lot of bad things happen to people who took those birth and childcare classes offered that went kind of like that
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

wait.... what's wrong with an epidural? I was kind of going to get one. I think I'll probably be alone at the birth.

I switched to doing all my classes online so I can stay with the baby, so I don't think I'll need a pump.

wait.... what's wrong with an epidural? I was kind of going to get one. I think I'll probably be alone at the birth.
    There is nothing wrong with an epi if you need one (there are circumstances) but most women don't need one. Have you done some reading about the stages of birth etc. Knowing what is happening is sometimes all it takes. I have heard great things about Birthing from Within by Inna May (I don't think that requires a supportive birth partner). The link gives info on why it is best not to.

I switched to doing all my classes online so I can stay with the baby, so I don't think I'll need a pump.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

please check into having a doula at your birth, some will do it for free!! i think it would be of great benefit to you!! you can find more info here DONA

oh, and getting an epi is your choice, it does have both good and bad things about it. that being said, i have had 3 of them.
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)