Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I have some questions

Default I have some questions

I took a bunch of parenting classes and now I'm hearing other things so its confusing. I've been reading some things about breastfeeding and I'm pretty sure that's what I want to do. I have some questions though. everything I'm reading can't possibly be true. I don't have long to decide.

1. Why didn't any of the classes I took talk about nursing? They talked about sterilizing bottles and how much formula to use. They told us what kind of formula is best and gave us samples and coupons for it. we got diaper bags full of stuff from nestle. There's all this proof that breast milk is better, so why don't people talk about it?

2. Is it true that the post partum nurses might try to talk me into giving formula even if I tell them I don't want to use it? Why would they do that?

3. How likely is it that I won't be able to make enough milk? I've found a lot of stuff online that talks about people not making enough milk.

4. Does a mothers age have any bearing on ability to breast feed? I haven't found much about young moms nursing.

5. Do you have to follow a special diet if you're nursing?

6. Is it harder to make a breastfed baby sleep through the night? Or are the classes I took wrong about how to do that too?

7. What sort of supplies do you have to have to breastfeed?

8. Are some babies really allergic to their moms milk?

9. Does breastfeeding supply baby with enough iron and vitamin D? I've read that you have to suppliment with extra vitamins.

10. Does not using a feeding schedule cause matabolisim problems in the baby? I read that a couple of places but I don't understand how that would work.

11. Can breastfeeding lead to bone loss in the mother? My foster family claims it does. "the baby would just suck everything right out of you"

Default Re: I have some questions

Can I ask you what kinds of classes you took? It really sounds like you took classes that are paid for by formula companies. I took a breastfeeding class. They did not talk about bottles, etc.

Will you have to stay with your foster family after your baby is born? I can't remember if you said anything about that in your other thread. Is there any way that you and the baby can have your own place, with public assistance?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*brandons.mom View Post
    I took a bunch of parenting classes and now I'm hearing other things so its confusing. I've been reading some things about breastfeeding and I'm pretty sure that's what I want to do. I have some questions though. everything I'm reading can't possibly be true. I don't have long to decide.

1. Why didn't any of the classes I took talk about nursing? They talked about sterilizing bottles and how much formula to use. They told us what kind of formula is best and gave us samples and coupons for it. we got diaper bags full of stuff from nestle. There's all this proof that breast milk is better, so why don't people talk about it?
    I am guessing that the classes were paid for by formula companies. They make a lot of money selling formula.

. Is it true that the post partum nurses might try to talk me into giving formula even if I tell them I don't want to use it? Why would they do that?
    It's true. I don't know. Can you get a doula to help you with this? My hospital does a doula program on a sliding fee scale.

3. How likely is it that I won't be able to make enough milk? I've found a lot of stuff online that talks about people not making enough milk.
    Very unlikely. You are hearing from mother's who weren't able to because they had bad information, like these classes you ahve gone to.

4. Does a mothers age have any bearing on ability to breast feed? I haven't found much about young moms nursing.
    I don't think so.

Not really. You should be careful about alcohol, but you're not old enough fro that anyway.

6. Is it harder to make a breastfed baby sleep through the night? Or are the classes I took wrong about how to do that too?
    I can't even believe that they told you this. I am SHOCKED. You can't MAKE a baby sleep through the night. Does someone MAKE you sleep through the night? They will sleep through the night when they are ready.

None - you've got them already on your chest

No, they are allergic to the things their mom's eat. But it's not that frequent, although it may seem so if you pick through here.

9. Does breastfeeding supply baby with enough iron and vitamin D? I've read that you have to suppliment with extra vitamins.
    Yes, it provides enough until the point where they start solid foods, anywhere from 6 months to a year.

10. Does not using a feeding schedule cause matabolisim problems in the baby? I read that a couple of places but I don't understand how that would work.
    I don't know anything about this.

11. Can breastfeeding lead to bone loss in the mother? My foster family claims it does. "the baby would just suck everything right out of you"
    NO.
    Last edited by @llli*mommy2lilah; January 7th, 2010 at 02:13 PM.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

May depend on who is sponsoring the parenting class.

2. Is it true that the post partum nurses might try to talk me into giving formula even if I tell them I don't want to use it? Why would they do that?

Unfortunately yes. Not all hospitals / nurses are breastfeeding friendly. Put into your birth plan that you plan to breastfeed, say baby should get NO bottles, baby should get NO pacifiers. If possible keep baby in your room with you.

Not likely. It may take a couple days for your milk to "come in". So people start supplementing with formula. MOST women can breastfeed and CAN make enough milk.

Nope.

Just eat a healthy and well-rounded diet.

Each baby is different. Breastfeeding vs. formula might affect sleep a little (formula is harder to digest) but I think its really differences in babies.

Its nice to have lanolin cream (like lanisoh) to help with sore nipples. Other than no supplies needed!

NO! Some babies are sensitive to things that mom eats that gets passed through breastmilk, but pretty much NEVER allergic to breastmilk.

Yes - if MOM is getting enough Vitamin D then baby will get enough. Its easy to check YOUR Vit D levels.

Breastfed babies should NOT be on a feeding schedule! The best thing to do is breastfeed "on demand" whenever baby indicates he is hungry. People think that this is good later on to help children self-regulate eating and not overeat.

You do need to continue to eat a healthy diet, take prenatal vitamins, and make sure you are eating enough foods with calcium.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

and ! Glad to hear you're thinking about BFing your baby! Like others have said in your other thread, it does take practice and some time. And there may be problems as you find your groove--but you've found a great community of moms that will answer just about any question you can think of!

My son is 6 months old. The postpartum nurses never tried to talk me into formula. It's best to 'room in' with your baby. As tempting as it may seem to send him to the nursery at night, try to resist. Those first minutes/hours/days are crucial to beginning a successful nursing relationship. Breastmilk digests quickly-in 90 minutes, so babies will typically eat every 1 1/2-2 hours. At first, it will seem like alllllllll you are doing is nursing. But it gets easier as baby gets older and bigger with a bigger mouth and a bigger tummy!

As for 'not making enough milk', like anything else, if you 'google' it to death, it'll start to freak you out. Nursing is all about supply and demand. Just feed 'on demand' and your body should do what it's meant to do. If you do run into issues, there are MANY things you can do to bump up production without resorting to formula.

I'm sure you'll get alot of other great advice from the other mamas.

Keep coming here, and you'll be fine!!
    First time Mama to DS
    Born 6/17/09

Birth: 8 lbs, 7 oz
    1 month: 11 lbs, 1 oz
    2 month: 13 lbs, 13 oz
    4 month: 16 lbs, 10 oz
    6 months: 18 lbs, 9 oz
    9 months: 20 1bs, 15 oz
    11 months: 22 lbs, 2oz
    12 months: 21 lbs 15 oz, 31 inches!
    18 months: 25 lbs 11 oz, 33 inched

BF'ing now for 20 months!! and going strong!

And now, with EDD October 19, 2011

You have gotten great answers. I just wanted to add a few things.

How likely is it that I won't be able to make enough milk? I've found a lot of stuff online that talks about people not making enough milk.

Not likely like the previous post said. For the first few days colostrum is ALL that your baby needs. Some people may try to tell you that your not making enough milk, but in reality your body isn't producing milk at all yet. It is producing colostrum and again that is ALL your baby needs at that point. I can't stress enough the importance to FEED ON DEMAND. Especially early on. Frequently nursing will signal your body to make milk sooner. In my experience around the 2nd day/night after my babies were born they wanted to be at the breast non-stop. It is their instinctual way of getting the milk to come in.

Keep your baby in the room with you at the hospital. Nurse, nurse, nurse as often as he wants. If it doesn't seem like he is latching on right or is not interested in nursing ask a nurse for help. If your hospital has a lactation consultant ask for a visit. Even if your not having difficulty.

If your foster family isn't supportive of your breastfeeding you could print out information on why breastmilk is the healthiest choice for babies and asking them to read it. We can give you links if you need them.

I hope I didn't come across to strong. I was not successful breastfeeding my oldest and I believe it is because I was not feeding on demand early on and tried to schedule her feedings.

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

Yup, sounds to me like the classes were paid for by formula companies, in which case of course they don't talk about BFing. They'd lose money if more women BF wouldn't they?

They do that because the hospitals also recieve money from the formula companies to encourage women to use thier products. You can instruct the nurses when you arrive that you are BFing. Have a written paper stating that also. Tell them you want your baby to room in with you, and keep him in your room at all times, unless necessary. Also, take a sign to place in his bassinet that says "I am a BREASTFED baby. Do not give me formula, sugar water, pacifiers (these can create nipple confusion and make it harder for him to latch on), or any other supplements. Bring me straight to my mommy if I cry!"

When you're looking online for things like this, more often than not you're going to hear the bad things. People don't seem to talk as much about the good. It's very, very unlikely you wouldn't be able to produce enough. As long as you're feeding on demand and not using supplements, your body will create as much milk as he needs.

No.

No just eat healthy, I think they say add 500 calories a day to what you normally eat, but I'm not positive on that number. Obviously no alcohol and maybe limit caffeine intake.

You can't make a baby sleep through that night. Every baby is different. I know those classes probably told you a certain age that he should be, but I'll tell you throw that right out the window, b/c a lot of times it takes longer for them to do that, and if you think on a schedule like that, you may be frustrated or disappointed when he isn't doing that. I will say though that co-sleeping can do wonders for how much sleep you get.

You may want to have some Lansinoh cream and cold packs to help with sore nipples, and some breast pads for in the beginning. (until you start to regulate you will probably leak some). Lots of water!

This one's been answered, but no. Maybe things you eat, but that's not common.

Yes. It will give baby everything he needs.

Don't really know about this. I'm sure it would have been brought up here if it did!

No. Make sure you're eating right and have plenty of calcium anyway though!
    I'm Shannon!
    Single, babywearing, barefoot in the grass mama to 3 wonderful babies!
    Abby 11-25-03
    Terry 9-29-06
    Kate 6-12-08
    and my Jack 11-17-02, gone to God at 11 weeks

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."

"I am going to be happy today, though the skies may be cloudy or gray. No matter what comes my way, I am going to be happy today."

you have gotten great answers already, but i wanted to add that along with the lanolin for your nipples, you may want to have some breast pads handy in case you experience some leaking. you can get them from pretty much any drugstore, target, walmart, etc.

you should totally come join us in the pregnancy forum. lots of great info in there, too.
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

you have gotten great answers so far. I just wanted to add that a new born breastfed baby does need to eat more frequently than a formula fed baby. Usually around 90 minutes from the start of 1 nursing session to the start of the next, instead of every 3-4 hours with formula. The reason is because breastmilk is the perfect food supplying your newborn with every thing it needs so it is easily digested. Formula has a lot of junk for your baby to have to try to digested. This easy digestion causes the bowel movements of a breastfed baby to be not anywhere near as smelly as formula fed babies.

You can and should try to contact a local LLL leader. You will get lots of great info and support from her and it is free.
    Last edited by @llli*mom2a; January 7th, 2010 at 03:19 PM. Reason: spelling
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

You've gotten a lot of great advice here already. I know there's a lot of information and it's overwhelming but the main things are to take it little by little. Deal with "issues" when you get there.
    Most importantly, have a birthing plan for the hospital, for you and for the staff to respect and STICK to it. You may be young (16, right?) but YOU are/will be the mother of YOUR child, YOU have custody and YOU have control of his/her rights. They may suggest formula and/or a pacifier for your baby...say NO! YOU can always introduce those things down the road if you wish to, but it'll be harder to remove them once baby gets "used to" them. Don't be afraid, feel pressured or intimidated to accept anything! Take your time and think about it.

Same with breastfeeding. It is a great choice! Good for you for considering it and getting informed. It's perfect for baby, easy on the tummy, and has great benefits. It will take some practice because it's new to BOTH of you, but you can do it. You've probably had to deal with harder situations before (which I think is unfair, and I'm sorry you've had to go through ) than learning to breastfeed. You seem like a very strong person. I think you can definitely do this.

Classes may give you the information they want or are "taught to teach", but there isn't better information than from mothers who have been through it at least once, if not multiple times, like the ones on this forum. Don't be afraid to ask questions. There are wonderful mamas on here full of great advice, encouragement and support! Welcome to the forum
    Last edited by @llli*juliet1; January 7th, 2010 at 03:55 PM.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...