Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 week old, no poop in two dayd

Default 6 week old, no poop in two dayd

Hi there I have a six week old who hasnt Pooped in two full days. Today is number three. She is eating well and peeing well, and up until recently had several yellow BM's a day. Her last one was huuuge. She was much more sleepy yesterday than usual also. Is the not pooping normal? I know they space out around this time? Is the sleepiness the tail end of a spurt or are we in one? She doesnt seem to be hunger than usual. I feed every three hours,maybe four at night and I have to want her for that. TIA!

Default Re: 6 week old, no poop in two dayd

normal at 6 weeks.. I bet she will go soon...
    And it will be a big mess!

I have to wake her lol, not want her haha!

Reference on normal diaper output after 6 weeks: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html Regarding poop frequency, it says "Number ranges from many per day to one every 7 – 10+ days. After 4 - 6 weeks, some babies switch to an infrequent stooling pattern. This is normal as long as baby is gaining well, and stools are soft and profuse if several days have passed."
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

rest assured ladies this is perfectly normal. it is fine for a bf baby to go up to 10 days with out a poop. because breast milk is perfect and has everything your lo needs there system may use up everything and there is nothing to waste and there for no poop. I'm sure the poop will come just give it time.

Day 4, still no poop
    She doesn't seem upset more than usual or anything. I, however, am constipated and the nurse at her doctor's office said I should get some fiber in my diet. Wonder if me being stopped up is stopping her up? Anyone hear of that?

Don't worry about it. It's normal. Some breastfed babies can even go longer. Don't be surprised if she has smelly gas. It seems to go hand in hand with this. As long as wet diapers are ok - don't worry.

For you, well I'd try some salad and prunes. But just because that's no fun for you - not because anything would be wrong with you Lo.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

No, how much fiber you're eating or not eating won't affect her bowel movements. It really is normal for a baby her age to go four days or even a week or more without pooping. As long as the poop is soft and runny when it does come, she's not constipated.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--