Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need to start pumping!

Default Need to start pumping!

Hello!
    So Im in hospital with my 4 week old with pneumonia and she gets too tired to feed from me so the doctor has said to pump and feed from a bottle, which is fine Ive managed to pump 8oz in two sittings, but I want to go back to feeding her when she gets more energy, do I need to pump every time she feeds?

Also, What would a 4 week old drink in one feeding? Shes 8lbs. she had two feedings of formula today and she had 2oz both times

Many thanks!

Default Re: Need to start pumping!

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear about your baby getting pneumonia. Were you nursing her exclusively before? You should pump every time she feeds and she will probably eat about 2 ounces at 4 weeks, I think.

Is she still in the hospital?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Default Re: Need to start pumping!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    You should pump every time she feeds and she will probably eat about 2 ounces at 4 weeks, I think.

You also might want to look into the following:
    - Alternative feeding methods (so she doesn't get hooked on the bottle)
    - Keeping her on the breast at least part-time (again, to reduce the risk of bottle preference)
    - Seeing the hospital lactation consultant for help, if there's a LC on staff
    - link on nursing strikes, JIC, hopefully you won't need it!

Hope your LO feels better soon!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"