Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Advice on how to go about pumping for my LO when going back to work

Default Advice on how to go about pumping for my LO when going back to work

My LO is not one yet but I would like to keep my milk supply up so that when I go back to work I will be able to pump enough milk for him to drink. He is a good solid eater and I know that my milk will drop, as he eats more and more. My DS has food intolerance to multiple foods so I won't be able to give him cow's milk and would like to continue the breast milk instead of switching to formula. My question is how many ounces do I need for a one year old?

I am also wondering if any of you have advice on how to proceed with the pumping. It will not be easy to pump at my work. I presently pump before going to bed and can average between 6 to 10 ounces per session. My DS sleeps through the night and I added that session when he was 4 weeks old to give him one bottle per day. I don't get that much milk any other time during the day though, except if I pumped in the morning instead of feeding him. I would like to be able to pump in the morning before work and then a few sessions in the evening but am wondering if this would be enough to keep my supply up.

I have a Medela Pump in Style and a good supply of milk right now. If you need any other info, just let me know.

Mama to

Kaylee born July 5, 2006
    9lbs 4 oz and 20.5 inches
    42 lbs and 41.5 inches at 38 months
    for 12 months

Jacob born April 9, 2009
    8lbs 10oz and 21 inches
    15lbs 7.7oz and 27 inches at 20 weeks
    17lbs 4.5oz and 27.6 inches at 6 months
    19lbs 14oz and 29.3 inches at 9 months
    and

Presently off dairy, soy, wheat, nuts, treenuts, shellfish, eggs, corn, gluten and rice .

Reacting to dairy, soy, wheat, eggs, corn, rice and maybe gluten.

Default Re: Advice on how to go about pumping for my LO when going back to work

How would you feel about starting to freeze the milk you are pumping instead of giving him one bottle a day? Or what about freezing half of it? 6 to 10 ounces is a really good amount to be pumping. You could get an incredible freezer stash at that rate if you pump once every day until his birthday. Do you have a chest freezer? That is where the milk stores the longest.

Really though, it is up to you on the pumping after he turns one. If he is still nursing four times a day, he will not need any milk while away from you. He can drink water or whatever else you are comfortable with.

And I think that 6 to 10 ounces a day would be more than enough. So you could even just keep on pumping your once a night session and have that for him for the next day without bothering to freeze any of it.

How often does he nurse? Does he nurse at night? By the age of one your supply is pretty well set.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks for the info. My daughter used to drink more than the 10 ounces of milk when she turned one. I gave her all the milk that I had stored and she went though it pretty quick :-) but she was more of a picky eater than he is.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    How would you feel about starting to freeze the milk you are pumping instead of giving him one bottle a day? Or what about freezing half of it? 6 to 10 ounces is a really good amount to be pumping. You could get an incredible freezer stash at that rate if you pump once every day until his birthday. Do you have a chest freezer? That is where the milk stores the longest.
    I have started freezing some but he is still reacting to something that I am eating and I can't pinpoint what it is. I am on a restricted elimination diet right now so until I know what he is reacting to, I am freezing it but unsure that I will be able to use it if it is something I am presently eating. I have a stand up freezer separate from my fridge that does not get opened too often. That's where I store my milk, in the back of it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    How often does he nurse? Does he nurse at night? By the age of one your supply is pretty well set.
    He nurses every two hours from 6am to 6pm and then around 7:45pm, he gets a bottle of EBM. He then sleeps from 8pm to 6am.

Mama to

Kaylee born July 5, 2006
    9lbs 4 oz and 20.5 inches
    42 lbs and 41.5 inches at 38 months
    for 12 months

Jacob born April 9, 2009
    8lbs 10oz and 21 inches
    15lbs 7.7oz and 27 inches at 20 weeks
    17lbs 4.5oz and 27.6 inches at 6 months
    19lbs 14oz and 29.3 inches at 9 months
    and

Presently off dairy, soy, wheat, nuts, treenuts, shellfish, eggs, corn, gluten and rice .

Reacting to dairy, soy, wheat, eggs, corn, rice and maybe gluten.

It's so hard to say what will happen before you get there. I'm sorry to hear about the allergies. That is really tough. Perhaps you will be able to donate that milk. I hope you find out what he is reacting to soon.

I think he will probably be all right with 6 to 10 ounces a day. Also, you never know what will happen with the sleeping once he is away from you during the day. My daughter really needs to connect with me at night since she is at the sitter's all day.

I think that if you continue pumping the way you are and add a session in the morning if you want to when you go back to work, you should be fine.

What I would worry about is engorgement those first few days. It would be worth it for you to figure out how to hand express so you can get some milk out and not end up with plugged ducts or mastitis if there is no way for you to pump during the day.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months