Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Any Ideas??

Post Any Ideas??

My baby who is 6 months old has dropped from the 50th to the 10th-25th percentile in weight. The Dr. says I should supplement her with formula. I want to give her a bottle, after nursing her, at bedtime and a couple times during the day. She is refusing to take a bottle. I have tried the formula mixed with breastmilk, tried it in a sippy cup, a regular cup (she likes drinking from cups), and tried having my husband give it to her. She pushes it away and will cry. In the meantime, I am nursing her more often and pumping to increase my milk supply. My husband tried mixing the formula in her cereal (which she loves), but she would not take that either. Does anyone have any ideas how I can get her to take the formula, or anything else I can do for her weight gain?

Default Re: Any Ideas??

Hi, and welcome to the forums! You must be concerned that your baby is in a different place on the weight charts recently. Your doctor has instructed you to supplement with formula -- did he say anything else about what the problem was or how to respond? Did he refer you to a lactation consultant? There may be ways of helping your baby gain weight faster that don't require formula. It is also possible that your baby's weight is just fine, as breastfed babies tend to slow their rate of gain compared to formula fed babies after the first few months.

Here are a couple links for you to read more about weight gain issues in breastfed babies. Let us know what you think after you read them. We're here to help you find accurate information and to support you in making well-informed decisions, so don't hesitate to ask, okay?

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/25slow_weight_gain.html

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

--Rebecca

I would think that she's trying to tell you something about the formula...its yucky!! I would just continue to try to nurse her as often as she'll take it. Why is the doctor having you supplement? She is still on the growth chart to begin with, why supplement? If she had dropped off the growth chart and was showing other signs of a problem, I might could see why...but a drop from 50th to 25th isn't a huge deal.

BF babies usually start out growing faster and then slow down. You might just have a skinny baby. Why is it that every other stage in our lives being skinny is valued. But if a baby isn't a fat michelin baby, doctors want to supplement them? 10-25 is still ON THE CHART. I don't see where there is a problem, except maybe with your doctor.

That being said, I don't have any clues about how to get them to take the bottle...ds has had one since about a week old. I would listen to your baby's cues though and not try to force the bottle. Than can only bring about feeding issues/aversions. I watch a little girl 2x a week that was forced to take milk from a bottle as a child and its HORRIBLE now. She's 2 and still only gets solids once a day. She's a true failure to thrive. She was 14lbs at 2 years old. We now have to FORCE 32 ounces of pediasure in her every day and why?? Because when she was little the doctor recommended having her be given formula after she dropped some on the growth charts.

Anyone (annie) have any links on babies who are supplemented being linked to childhood obesity?

Sorry to rant, but I have just lived and seen the consequences of trying to make a baby eat that doesn't need to be made to eat. Go by your daughter's cues, if she isn't gaining enough, she'll let you know and want more if you always offer it to her. If that makes you nervous, then I would get a second opinion from another doctor in a different practice.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Post Re: Any Ideas??

Thank you so much for your replies. The links were very helpful. At this point, I think I will just continue to nurse her as often as possible, and pump. Forget the formula. I have a lactation consultant coming for a visit next week, and I'll see what she says about it. I'm a little confused about the whole thing. My husband and I were both shocked that our baby did not gain much weight. She seemed fine to me. She is starting to crawl, rolling over, and seems happy. However, I did notice the past couple of weeks that she seemed to not be getting enough milk while nursing. She would kind of stop and fuss, and try again. One of the articles suggested doing compressions while nursing so I will try that. Also, I noticed today, while pumping, that my left breast had very little milk-even during a let-down. I'm kind of distraught about the whole thing, because we have been through this before. She lost too much weight her first week and we supplemented her with formula then, just for a week until she put on weight. I really did not want her having a bottle, so I started weeding them out and just constantly nursed her and pumped. Since then she was gaining well and everything was fine, until our Dr. visit on Friday, and now this. Part of me thinks she is just fine and my husband thinks so, but then there is the other part that is very concerned.

Sorry this is so long!

I just wanted to say that you should trust your instincts and your babys instincts as well. Have you ever tasted formula and breastmilk? I say do a little taste test yourself and you will know why your little one is refusing the formula

Our babies are the same age and my girl dropped quite a bit between 4 and 6 months. Basically as long as she is nursing well, happy, and meeting or exceeding her developmental milestones I've decided to ignor all weigh gain info from our ped.

Something else to consider is that your ped is probably still using OUTDATED weight gain percentile charts based on formula feeding as the norm. New charts based on breastfeeding are available, there should be a link here somewhere on this site.

GOOD LUCK! You are doing great.

Thank you so much for your replies. I had this nagging instinct all weekend telling me that my baby is fine and I really felt like they messed up her weight. I guess at her 4 mo. checkup she was 13.25 pounds and this time they said she was 13.4. I honestly could not believe it, and neither could my hubby. I did a lot of research on this site over the weekend, and my baby is having plenty of wet diapers, she is looking very healthy, getting ready to crawl, rolling all over the place, and she is so happy and vocal when she's playing. I just could not believe that she hardly gained weight. So, I refused to give her formula, I just nursed her more often, and went and bought a scale. I weighed her three times and every time it said 14.8 pounds. So, I took her back to the Dr. yesterday and demanded a re-weigh. Sure enough, their scale said 14.8 pounds! The Tech who weighed her said that he doubted she gained 1.5 pounds in three days and that they must not have zeroed the scale correctly when they weighed her on Friday. YAY!!!!! What a relief. I had the lactation consultant over today and we discussed it. Alexis (my baby) gained 3 ounces a week, which WHO says after 4 months they should gain 3-5 ounces a week, so she's right on. She did drop to the 25th percentile, but I'm not worried since she is still on the charts and perfectly healthy.

Also, I discovered that her fussing during the past couple weeks while nursing was due to teething. She now has two (sharp!) bottom teeth. My baby's growing up too fast!!!!! So, no worries on the milk supply. Anyway, thank you all for the replies. This website was very helpful to me and really helped me to trust my instincts that she did not need the formula and was perfectly healthy all along. And the links were very helpful. So relieved!!! Whew!

Okay, AFTER I post these long posts, now I find the thread that explains all the abbreviations!!! LOL!!!! Well, at least I know better for next time.
    How does everyone get pictures on here and things? Well, maybe this isn't the place for these questions.

This is a little off of her initial post, but I have a question. All of you see to have helped her quite a bit, anyway, and have given her lots of encouragement (of course!).
    I would think that she's trying to tell you something about the formula...its yucky!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sblairc
    Have you ever tasted formula and breastmilk? I say do a little taste test yourself and you will know why your little one is refusing the formula
    DH and I have both tasted BM and formula, and they both taste sweet.... I can taste a difference, but it's not gross, just different. He can't tell the difference at all. Do you think maybe it's a bad aftertaste or something? Or maybe it has something to do with how much they're getting since we're only tasting a little bit?

I have not tasted BM, I've just heard it's sweet. I didn't really taste the formula...I got really close and the smell alone... whew! If it tastes as bad as it smells, I know why dd wouldn't drink it. Then again, she is allergic to cow's milk protein so I had to buy her a special formula, so maybe it's worse. Thankfully, we are not using it, and we've moved on from that issue!

glad you got that figured out!