Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BLS - Oatmeal, Applesauce, Yogurt, etc

Default BLS - Oatmeal, Applesauce, Yogurt, etc

My LO is 9 months old now, and we've been doing BLS since he was 6 months. The kid will eat just about anything we put in front of him... except peas! But we've mostly just been doing "solid" food - not mashed or pureed or anything. But some foods are naturally more liquid...

I'm curious to know how other people handle runny foods like the ones I mentioned in the title. Do you spoon feed these? Preload a spoon and hand it over? Just put it on the tray and let them have at it? Or do you just avoid these foods altogether??

Thanks!!
    Candice

Mom to Nathan - born 04/01/09

I don't know how to do those cute little pictures... but I pump (part-time at work only), we L-O-V-E our moby wrap, just started CD (not enjoying the washing part though...), and much to my hubby's chagrin, I have become a huge fan of NIP! Looking forward to baby-led solids!!

Default Re: BLS - Oatmeal, Applesauce, Yogurt, etc

oatmeal can be made "thick" and then cooled - makes a good finger food

some people use spoons - either pre-load or feed their LO

some people let LO scoop with their fingers

some let LO "dip" other foods into yogurt, etc

IMO with BLS there are many ways to do it and you figure out what works for you and your family
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

When Nora was that age I'd give her a small bowl with the runny food in it and a little plastic spoon and let her have at it. IIRC the first few times I'd have my own spoon and I'd "help" her along with it until she seemed to grasp the idea of using the spoon to get stuff to her mouth.

You may want to put a tarp down.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

just be prepared for the mess and let him go for it, our DCP did spoon feed a little yogurt each morning but I always just let him have at it. it's still a total mess but he loves doing it himself... start witha VERY small amt in a plastic bowl with a plastic spoon, I went for spoons with deep scoops kwim? so it was easier to keep a little in there
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

We did toast crusts to dip in yogurt and applesauce.

Way too lazy for formula