Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 days to go!! So excited!

Default 10 days to go!! So excited!

OK, I'm a bit nerdy to be excited about giving my LO solids, but he seems to be ready now. He sits well unassisted- until he gets distracted and goes plop! He is working on that pincer grasp. He is very interested in what we are eating. We have been giving him a spoon and bowl to play with for a while now. We are going to celebrate his six month birthday by giving him some sweet potato for dinner

We plan to do BLS, but I couldn't get a hold of the book about it. I figure it's not essential to read the whole thing right away and will wait for interlibrary loan to come through for me. Anyway, I have a few questions:

1. Is it ok to start with 2 meals? Lunch and dinner? If not, how long before adding in a second meal per day?

2. My ped. said everything needs to be able to "go mush" so he doesn't choke. I didn't have a chance to explain BLS very well but told him he'd be getting cooked soft stuff right away and he seemed concerned about choking hazards. If the food is soft enough he can't choke, right? How soft does it need to be? Soft enough that I can mush it with a finger?

3. As you add food to the baby's repertoire, do you offer a few different things at each meal? How much do you offer?

I think that's it for now...
    "My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary."
    -Martin Luther

Default Re: 10 days to go!! So excited!

I have always heard that you start with one meal a day for 3-4 weeks, and you wait a while (a few days at least) between introducing each new food so you can check for food allergies. Can't help you with the texture thing. I used purees.

Default Re: 10 days to go!! So excited!

For things that needed to be cooked I'd steam them until soft enough that I could eat it without using my teeth just my tounge and the roof of my mouth.

I HIGHLY recommend taking an infant CPR class so you can learn what to do if baby chokes.

We started BLS with one "meal" a day. Introed one new food at a time. Waited a couple days before adding a new food in case of any reactions. I prioritized adding new foods that would let me cook meals.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)