Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: rash and fruit?

Default rash and fruit?

Hi, my 7 1/2 month old has recently started eating a few tablespoons of solids a day and is still breastfeeding as often as usual. He has loved sweet potatoes and squash mashed up right from my plate and is much happier now at meal time! The last few days, I have given him some mashed up pera and peaches and now he has developed a red rash around his anus. I've read that this is an allergic symptom but he is perfectly happy, breastfeeding and sleeping well. There is no rash anywhere else on his body. I let him feed himself and he only eats what he wants and then plays with the rest. Not sure if I should stop giving him the fruit and stick with the veggies or what Anyone else have this happen or have any suggestions? I have had to be careful with my diet while brestfeeding because he reacts to tomato sauces by getting a bad rash on his face. Also, I had to cut out dairy because he reacted to the protein. Wish I could EBF forever and forget solids.

Default Re: rash and fruit?

I would not give him pears or peaches and see if the rash clears up. Wait and try them again when he is a bit older.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

fruit juice sometimes bothers my dd like that....

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2a View Post
    I would not give him pears or peaches and see if the rash clears up. Wait and try them again when he is a bit older.
    Just remember that correlation isn't the same as causation- there are a lot of things that can cause a rash in the bum area, including teething, diaper rash, illness. You don't need to jump right to allergies as the chief suspect. But since it's easy to eliminate a food and see if there's improvement, I would totally take mom2a's advice.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"