Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rice Bottle

Default Rice Bottle

I hope this is the right place to post this. A few of my in laws keeps bugging me to start giving DD a rice bottle to hold her longer between feedings. I've tried telling them that a BF baby is normal to eat every 2-3 hours during the day. And she eats every hour it seems before bed, which I've said is "tanking up". She will sleep a 4-6 hour stretch at night. Yet they keep pushing the issue. These women have only formula fed and did this with their kids. I also think it's way too early to introduce rice right now. DD is 2 months. So my question is when should it be done, if at all? I plan on waiting a minimum of 6 months before introducing any solids and plan on letting DD show me she is ready.

TIA
    Amanda

Wife to Steven 29 Oct 07
    DD1: Zoey 28 Oct 2009
    (Self weaned at 2 years)

DD2: Hayley 18 Oct 2012
    (My latest nursling)

Default Re: Rice Bottle

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zoeysmamma View Post
    I hope this is the right place to post this. A few of my in laws keeps bugging me to start giving DD a rice bottle to hold her longer between feedings. I've tried telling them that a BF baby is normal to eat every 2-3 hours during the day. And she eats every hour it seems before bed, which I've said is "tanking up". She will sleep a 4-6 hour stretch at night. Yet they keep pushing the issue. These women have only formula fed and did this with their kids. I also think it's way too early to introduce rice right now. DD is 2 months. So my question is when should it be done, if at all? I plan on waiting a minimum of 6 months before introducing any solids and plan on letting DD show me she is ready.

TIA
    You've got it right mamma. Just shrug your inlaws off. 2 months old is way too young to start solids. Rice in the bottles is something of the past, and a lot of older people still try to push the issue.

Rice in the bottle is also very hard on the babies ears, and can sometimes cause ear infections. I would not do this at all, even when your DD is ready for solids.

Stick to your guns, mamma. It sounds like you are doing such a great job as it is.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

You are absolutely right! Your child's eating pattern is perfectly normal for a breastfed baby.
    1) It is too early to start solids of any kind.
    2) Putting cereal in a bottle is not recommended by the AAP because it is a choking hazard. Keep on doing things exactly how you are doing them.
    3) Your child wakes because she needs to eat. She's actually sleeping longer stretches than many breastfed babies do, so that's great! Breastmilk digests much quicker than formula (~90 minutes) so BFed babies need to eat more often. If you fill her up with cereal (which has little to no nutritional value) it means she is eating less of the highly nutritious breastmilk that she needs to grow! Not to mention affecting your supply of milk from missing feedings.

Don't listen to the people who don't know what they are talking about, you are doing everything right! Great job, mama.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    You've got it right mamma. Just shrug your inlaws off. 2 months old is way too young to start solids. Rice in the bottles is something of the past, and a lot of older people still try to push the issue.

Rice in the bottle is also very hard on the babies ears, and can sometimes cause ear infections. I would not do this at all, even when your DD is ready for solids.

Stick to your guns, mamma. It sounds like you are doing such a great job as it is.

Sounds like your instincts are telling you to keep on doing what you're doing. I love the phrase "Tank up" MIne does this too but then still gets up every 2 hours.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

recent thread on this topic with lots of links about why NOT to do this
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

with all the PP's. You never need to put rice in the bottle. If you do rice cereal at all it doesn't belong in the bottle
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    SAHM to Aiden Joseph 5/31/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10

Great advice from the PPs! I just wanted to address this:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zoeysmamma View Post
    A few of my in laws keeps bugging me to start giving DD a rice bottle to hold her longer between feedings.
    Why is it so important to your ILs that the baby go longer between feedings? If you're okay with her nursing routine, what's their issue with it?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Why is it so important to your ILs that the baby go longer between feedings? If you're okay with her nursing routine, what's their issue with it?
    I wonder the same thing with my parents. Must be concern for us getting enough rest I guess?
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    SAHM to Aiden Joseph 5/31/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10

Honestly, it's none of their business, they got to raise their children and now you are raising yours (I have said that to my Mom, in more delicate terms, when she offers me bad advice too). I would either have a talk with your husband and have him tell them to back off, or just straight out lie to them and say your baby is sleeping through the night.
    My doctor did not recommend putting rice in their bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Great advice from the PPs! I just wanted to address this:

I guess it's because they want to hold her and play with her longer when we visit. We live about 2 hours away so we don't see them much.

Thanks for all your responses. And I chalk it up to her sleeping through the night when she sleeps 6 hours, because she'll wake, feed and back to sleep for 3-4 hours. And I've done nothing differently. She does it all on her own, which I love.
    Amanda

Wife to Steven 29 Oct 07
    DD1: Zoey 28 Oct 2009
    (Self weaned at 2 years)

DD2: Hayley 18 Oct 2012
    (My latest nursling)