Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to bring the milk home

Default Re: how to bring the milk home

BM is good for 7 days if it is in the refigerator. It is good for 10 hours at room temperature, so even if you can't refrigerate it all day it will still be fine if you can get it in the fridge when you get home.

I always kept mine in the frige at work, then brought it home and put it in the frige at home. I pumped into the (plastic) bottles I fed the kids with the next day and never froze mine.

Here's a quick reference on storage guidelines.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I don't even bring it home. I give it to DCP at pick up time and they put it in their fridge. I have been putting the Medela bag with the blue ice in the fridge at work. I never though about it being insulated and not doing any good!

I looked up the whole storing in glass and at storknet.com says it is okay to store BM in glass if it will be in the refrigerator for more than 24 hours. After 24 hours the white blood cell let go of the sides and go back to the milk.
    My little surprise born 2 December 2009 7 lbs 1 oz 20 inches.

Our goal is 1 year, but I'm willing to go 2!