Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to bring the milk home

Default how to bring the milk home

After i pumped my milk today (first day at work), I placed my milk in its cooler bag and put it into the freezer. then i brought it home. I transfered it into two storage bags and realized one bottle from the morning was partially frozen - the other still quite liquid. did i make a mistake? was i suppose to keep them in the fridge? after i came home, i placed them in the freezer. any advise is appreciated. thank you,

Default Re: how to bring the milk home

It's not necessary to freeze while at work as long as it's refridgerated or in a cooler. You can freeze at night when you get home.

Are you using the milk you pump at work for the next working day?
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*courtnidge View Post
    It's not necessary to freeze while at work as long as it's refridgerated or in a cooler. You can freeze at night when you get home.

Are you using the milk you pump at work for the next working day?

if you are using the milk the next day or so then you can just pop it in the fridge. If not just put it in the freezer when you get back home.

Milk can stay in the fridge for 3-4 days so if you pump and then use it the next day, there is no need to freeze. I have found the easiest way for me is to put all the milk I pump into a large glass bottle or two (glass is better for storing breastmilk) and stick in the fridge for the next day. It saves on the money on the plastic milk bags. On my weekends, I freeze and that's when I use the milk bags. Freezing does kill some of the good stuff in BM which is why it's better to just refrigerate overnight.
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02

thnx for the replies. sorry, i am still abit confused. it's been a long day. lol!!!

my pump came with a cooler bag. should i keep the milk in the cooler bag and fridge?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*courtnidge View Post
    Milk can stay in the fridge for 3-4 days so if you pump and then use it the next day, there is no need to freeze. I have found the easiest way for me is to put all the milk I pump into a large glass bottle or two (glass is better for storing breastmilk) and stick in the fridge for the next day. It saves on the money on the plastic milk bags. On my weekends, I freeze and that's when I use the milk bags. Freezing does kill some of the good stuff in BM which is why it's better to just refrigerate overnight.
    I read in a book that you shouldn't use glass because the white blood cells stick to the glass.
    My little surprise born 2 December 2009 7 lbs 1 oz 20 inches.

Our goal is 1 year, but I'm willing to go 2!

I'd use a cooler bag with "blue ice" OR the fridge. Putting an insulated cooler bag into a fridge really doesn't do anything.

I just use the cooler bag that came with my Medela pump with the "blue ice" that came with it.

I keep the cooler bag at my desk along with the rest of my pump stuff. I bring some EBM storage bags in case I need them.

I wouldn't freeze at work UNLESS you can keep the milk frozen. You're not supposed to freeze / defrost / refreeze EBM. And once frozen EBM has been thawed its supposed to be used within 24 hours.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*smiles View Post
    I read in a book that you shouldn't use glass because the white blood cells stick to the glass.
    Hrm, I've never heard that. Could totally be true. I was always told glass because of the potential dangers of BPA in plastics, even in the ones that claim to be BPA free. I personally use both. I read that the real harm with BPA is freezing food and milk and long term use. So I guess it's a Catch 22?
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    I'd use a cooler bag with "blue ice" OR the fridge. Putting an insulated cooler bag into a fridge really doesn't do anything.

I just use the cooler bag that came with my Medela pump with the "blue ice" that came with it.

I keep the cooler bag at my desk along with the rest of my pump stuff. I bring some EBM storage bags in case I need them.

I wouldn't freeze at work UNLESS you can keep the milk frozen. You're not supposed to freeze / defrost / refreeze EBM. And once frozen EBM has been thawed its supposed to be used within 24 hours.
    Me too.
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02

Like the other mamas said, if you are planning on using the milk the next day, you do not need to freeze it. Just put it in the frig at work, take it home, and put it in your own frig. If you are not planning on using the milk within a couple of days, then you could go ahead and freeze it, but I would wait and freeze it when you got home, and still keep it in the frig at work.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.