Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Water

Default Water

My little guy is 6 months old and we just started him on solids.

So far, just rice cereal and some peas. Here's my concern: I feel like I am not generating as much milk, even though I am vigorously pumping.

I usually mix breastmilk in with his cereal and I am just blowing through the supply if pumped bottles I am trying to keep up with in my fridge (I need 'em for daycare and travel). Here's my question: Can I simply mix his cereal with water? (He gets fed solids 3x a day and nursed 4xs a day).

I am also considering giving him water for hydration for the times that I give him solids and pumping during those times to build the required reserves in the fridge. I don't think I have enough to do both! Ugh.

Default Re: Water

I put water in my LO's cereal. Just try to have him on the breast (or pump) as much as possible! That is the best thing. Is there anything going on in your life that could be affecting your supply? (Stress, diet, etc.)
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    SAHM to Aiden Joseph 5/31/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10

I heard that cereal made with water is a low protein food, and too much low protein food could dilute the protein in their diet. I agree w/ pp to nurse/pump as often as possible!

How often do you feed your LO the cereal? My ped said 3xs a day for solids, be it cereal, peas, or whatever.

I don't know why my supply seems less.

You could always decrease the amount of solids and increase bfing times. Right now, there's no nutritional need for LO to eat 3x/day. You could trying eating oatmeal to increase your supply, along with pumping, and having LO at the breast as much as possible.
    Remember, solids are just to introduce new foods (to minimize food allergies in the future), tastes, textures and experimentation. It should not replace bfing feedings. Solids should be given "on top of" bfing times.
    At 6 m/o I think their water intake should be limited to no more than 2 oz/day (I read on either kellymom.com or askdrsears.com), in case you do use water with the cereal.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

I usually offer it when I eat, breakfast lunch and dinner which totals to about 3X a day. I always nurse first. Lately I've been adding in fruits or veggies, I've offered them so he seems to like them more than the cereal so I just add them to the cereal. I do that so that he's getting a little extra in his diet. There are many different things out there. I wouldn't offer water in a bottle but I think water in the cereal is fine. Whatever works for you and your baby, and if you're nursing as much as possible I think you're fine. I tried putting my milk in the cereal but it didn't really make a difference.
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    SAHM to Aiden Joseph 5/31/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10