Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: jar food and homemade

Default jar food and homemade

Hi,

My LO is 10 months old and I have been feeding him homemade food up until a month ago when I was really busy and didn't get any time to make him homemade food. Anyway, I found out he really likes the jar food and is eating more than 3 times the quantity he was having of my homemade food!
    I've always found it difficult to cook homemade food because:
    a) I don't have microwave so have to heat and defrost everything on the hob
    b) He won't let me out of his sight. I find it difficult trying to heat food up, let alone cook food from scratch, as he doesn't like me to go to the kitchen. I have tried putting him in the high chair and putting him in front of me with his toys, while I cook, but he gets restless and can't sit there for that long.

I just wanted some opinions on this.
    1) Is jar food really less nutritious than homemade food?
    2) Any solutions on how to cook when LO wants me to be with him all the time? I really would like to do more homemade cooking.

Thanks!

Default Re: jar food and homemade

Be sure to read the labels on jarred foods.... Some are full of sugar, which would make them more appealing but is not healthy. Some contain other ingredients you might not want to give.

You could look into baby led solids, which is far easier than jarred or homemade foods.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Jar food: I always go organic and avoid giving him ones with lots of sugar.

Baby led weaning-Would help, but finding it difficult to get my LO to eat any kind of finger foods! He just holds pieces of food, drops them on the floor and has no interest in putting any food from his hand to his mouth. I try guiding him, but he turns his head away!

So? At this age, solids are more for texture and fun than nutrition. Breastmilk is the primary source of nutrition for a baby.

Just let 'em play
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mintmallow View Post
    Baby led weaning-Would help, but finding it difficult to get my LO to eat any kind of finger foods! He just holds pieces of food, drops them on the floor and has no interest in putting any food from his hand to his mouth. I try guiding him, but he turns his head away!
    that might indicate he's not quite ready for solids
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

In my experience the jar food is as good as long as you feed the single ingredient ones. It's when you get into the spaghetti and meatballs or mac n cheese ones that they start to add a bunch of stuff.

Have you tried a food grinder like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GB0NZA/...SIN=B000GB0NZA

It's what I used with all my LOs and they loved it! I just ground up things we ate at dinner and lunch that they could eat and it worked great! It's fast and on the spot so your baby won't have to wait long.

Here is a really really great website for making homemade babyfood:

http://weelicious.com/

Everything I have made from here is fabulous and most of the toddler stuff I have made for the whole family and it's great!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mintmallow View Post
    Hi,

My LO is 10 months old and I have been feeding him homemade food up until a month ago when I was really busy and didn't get any time to make him homemade food. Anyway, I found out he really likes the jar food and is eating more than 3 times the quantity he was having of my homemade food!
    I've always found it difficult to cook homemade food because:
    a) I don't have microwave so have to heat and defrost everything on the hob
    b) He won't let me out of his sight. I find it difficult trying to heat food up, let alone cook food from scratch, as he doesn't like me to go to the kitchen. I have tried putting him in the high chair and putting him in front of me with his toys, while I cook, but he gets restless and can't sit there for that long.

I just wanted some opinions on this.
    1) Is jar food really less nutritious than homemade food?
    2) Any solutions on how to cook when LO wants me to be with him all the time? I really would like to do more homemade cooking.

Thanks!
    I use organic baby food and try to stick with ones that have more fiber than sugar. I only feed the high sugar fruit ones in the morning (he has all day to burn off that energy).

But, my goal is to eventually feed him home made baby food... As soon as I can find a pesky food mill.

I started out with making babyfood and then did go more towards BLS. What works for me in both instances is that I bring the highchair into the kitchen with me and give him little pieces of food to eat/play with while I am preparing the meals. That seems to satisfy my son's need to be near me and it also gives me time to prepare his meals for him.

Proud Vegetarian Momma