Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast is Best atleast till a year right?

Default Breast is Best atleast till a year right?

I want to make sure I am right in my mind what I am doing with DD2. She is the first I have breast fed this long!! (YAY!) She is 9 months and will be a year on March 21st. She is eating solids pretty much when I eat (still 3 times a day, and snack in between). Most of the time she has little to no interest in solids(when im not eating she doesnt want to eat). I tried having a routine of feeding solids, but with a 7 year old and well just Life.. Having her eat when I eat seemed to be the best for her. Also those times that I choose (Waiting until an hour or two after she BF) she would frankly rather be playing than sitting in the high chair or walker eating.

I read somewhere that Breast Milk is great as the only nutritional source for baby until they are at least a year old. Then after that there needs to be other supplements to her diet for added nutrition. I guess I worry that because I dont have the same routine I once had for DD1 (who was FF) at the solids age that DD2 is kind of off kilter for solids (but not really she eats when I eat which is actually a routine too!)

So i guess my question is, Does she HAVE to have solids as a MAIN course of her diet at 9 months or is it ok to still be experimenting but not exactly having a routine of solids feedings?

Thanks for your response and support!!
    Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see. ~John W. Whitehead, The Stealing of America, 1983

Children seldom misquote. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said. ~Author Unknown

Default Re: Breast is Best atleast till a year right?

You have it right mama.
    Solids shouldn't be a main source of nutrition before a year. Everything a baby needs comes from the breastmilk. Solids before then are extra - for experimenting with tastes and textures, etc.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Default Re: Breast is Best atleast till a year right?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*baby-blue-eyes View Post
    You have it right mama.
    Solids shouldn't be a main source of nutrition before a year. Everything a baby needs comes from the breastmilk. Solids before then are extra - for experimenting with tastes and textures, etc.
    Exactly. And even after a year, the transition to a majority-solids diet is often a slow one. It's not like the baby goes to sleep on day 364 needing only breastmilk and then wakes up on day 365 needing a huge amount of solid food. Many babies are still on a majority-breastmilk diet until well into their second year.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Smile Re: Breast is Best atleast till a year right?

I thought my seven month old wanted to eat when we ate because he would cry and try to get our food. He has shown all signs of being ready but all he really wants is to play with the food. He eats a bite or two one day and plays, chews and throws it on the floor the next. I'm not worried, he'll eat when he is ready. He nurses still about every 1-2 hours and still frequently at night so he is getting what he needs. Don't worry, your milk will be more than enough. It is better than filling up one solids at that age.