Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BLS am I doing it right?

Question BLS am I doing it right?

My LO just turned 6 months a few week ago and showed all the signs of being ready to start eating what we're eating (sitting up on own, grabbing for my plate, being very interested in meal times) so I started with the purees recommended by pretty much everyone and was letting her muck about it in them and i would try and spoon feed a lil but she really really disliked that ( crying, closing mouth, turning head) so i got discouraged and would only offer her a lil bit every other day and let her muck about in it... I decided to try BLS but didn't know where to start so I came on here and someone told me about a book called Baby led weaning.. I got it from the library and read it in a day I really liked the thought process of it so me and my SO decided to try it.. it's been working out great so far... she'll munch on everything we give her ( tomatoes, carrots, bananas, toast, cheese, pineapple, oranges, papaya, cucumber, strawberries, peaches, advocado, steak, chicken, pears so far) what a difference from the puree she would try a lil but would normally refuse it, now she isn't refusing anything that I cut up into sticks and feed her... I also use a mesh feeder for the pulpy stuff ( which she sucks dry and just leaves the pulp) my only thing is she has gagged, not choked, a couple of times ( on dry toast fingers) this is frightening and was wondering if anything can be done to prevent this? or how long will it take for her to figure it out? ... I don't think she is actually swallowing anything yet, just mashing it in her mouth and spitting it out. But i'm curious if i can do anything different to to stop this?

I cut the food up into pieces she can easily pick up and long enough to bring to her mouth/ hold in her hand... but she does break chunks off in mouth ( sometimes quite big chunks), which she usually spits out or mulls around in mouth.. I'm offering a cup with a little bit of expressed milk in it, she is sitting up in her bumboo, my lap, or high chair when she eats.

When it comes to lentils, beans ( like in a chili), chick peas is it ok to let her try then or should I wait till she's older?... I'm worried these are to small and round and she'll choke on them

any one who has experienced BLS with their LO's and can offer any advice/tips on it I would really appreciate!
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

Default Re: BLS am I doing it right?

It sounds like you're doing everything just right! I don't think there's a way to prevent a child from occasionally putting too much into her mouth and gagging, but you might want to cut those toast fingers into smaller pieces. Make toast chunklets instead.

With chickpeas and larger bean, I think it's okay to offer them as long as they're really soft and already a bit squished. Lentils are so tiny that they should be fine without needing to be smashed.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thats a good idea with the beans/lentils chick peas, i'm gonna try it tonight with the chili were making... there a great source of protein and other vitamins/minerals that I didn't want her to miss out on them. Thanks!
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

While it is no fun to watch, the gagging is just part of the process. After over a month, my girl still sometimes stuffs her mouth full (even when they are smaller pieces) and gags it all back out. Not very often, usually it is something completely new in flavor and she is just thrilled about it and overstuffs.

The lentils are great, and since they are tiny they don't choke on them. It might be easier for you to give a loaded spoonful of them unless she's got the pincer grasp and can pick up those tiny boogers (or is adept at getting a mouthful out of a closed fist, once they figure that out it's awesome). Lentils cooked w/carrots are one of my girls favorite foods right now. We did black beans as well, since those are too small to choke on. Mixed 'em with some unflavored full fat yogurt and she was thrilled to pieces (and covered in pieces).
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eris View Post
    While it is no fun to watch, the gagging is just part of the process. .