Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often does your Toddler Nurse?

Default How often does your Toddler Nurse?

There was another thread with this title, but the subject seemed to really be "who else has a 2 year old who nurses 10 times a day".

I would like to know what the range of "normal" is?

How old is your nurser?

How often do you nurse?

Does your toddler dictate the frequency or do you limit nursing times?
    (home versus not home, night vs day, etc)

thanks!!
    Shannon

As for me-
    My toddler is 22 months old, and we nurse 2-4 times a day.
    I am away at work 10 hours a day though, so he cannot nurse from 8:30am until 6:30pm (at least). Also I night weaned so he cannot nurst from 9pm until 6am.
    He seems to still enjoy his morning and evening nursings so we are keeping up with those! I never would have thought it was possible, but my body adjusted to our nursing schedule very well!

Default Re: How often does your Toddler Nurse?

my 21 mo old nurses between 2-4 times a day. it is partially because she is busy and partially because i am 7 mo pg and nursing is currently driving me batty, especially at night. they are pretty quick sessions, too. not usually more then 10 minutes tops.
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Lucy is 16 months and nurses every couple hours, even at night. I just asked DH how many times Lucy nurses and he was like "Uhmm....40 times?" She is rarely unlatched.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danlynclark View Post
    Lucy is 16 months and nurses every couple hours, even at night. I just asked DH how many times Lucy nurses and he was like "Uhmm....40 times?" She is rarely unlatched.
    Same here with my 14 month old.

Sometimes I limit because we will be home shortly or I am making dinner and it's not practical.

My DD has nursed 11x today so far. I'm guessing she'll go for 15 or 16 sessions today.. She is 18 months old and pushing two molars at the moment.

That said, she normally nurses at least 8 times in 24 hours.

I occasionally ask her to wait, but not often. I'm at home with her, so we just go with the flow.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Joey is 17mos and nurses 2-4x/day and not usually during the night unless she is sick or doesn't feel well.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Makenna is 18 mo. and nurses 2-3x a day. I work 8 hours a day - and she STTN. She'll nurse more and/or wake at night to nurse if she is cutting new teeth or ill.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

double post deleted
    Last edited by @llli*babiesrus; January 3rd, 2010 at 07:56 PM.
    Mama to:
    DS1 8/04 -BFed almost 3 1/2 yrs!
    DD1 9/05 -BFed 3 1/2 yrs & still has "sip" now & then!
    DS2 2/08 -Currently BFing!
    DD2 5/09 -Currently BFing!

My 22 month old son nurses every 2 hrs (or more often lately-but this is approx because I do not watch the clock) during the day & I nuse him to sleep & he nuses 1-2 times at night depending on what time we go to sleep then he nurses first thing in morning before getting up.

During the day my son actually nurses more often than my 7 month old daughter but she nurses more at night than he does.

I am a SAHM & I usually let him nurse when he wants unless I am nursing baby at the time or need to do something like fix a meal. He nurses anywhere from 5-30mins. We usually do not go many places (I am always nursing someone so too difficult lol) but he still nurses as often when we do go somewhere.
    Mama to:

OMgosh! I have never really charted how often my LOs nursed so I thought I'd try to today & WOW I know it seems like I am always nursing someone but gosh I never realized just how often! I cannot continue to chart the rest of the day but here is what I got so far (just listing my toddler nursing times since that the topic & not my baby's nursing):

7:35am nursed in bed 37min (back to sleep)-he stopped on own

8:58am nursed in bed 11min "to wake up"-he's like a coffee drinker, needs fix to wake up)-he stopped on own

9:12am he nursed 11min-I stopped him b/c I was getting sore

10:14am he nursed 6min-he stopped on own

**was cooking food & he could not nurse**

12:27pm he nursed only 3 min & I told him "last drink please" & he stopped b/c baby upset & I needed to nurse her

12:42pm he nursed 2mins -he stopped on own

1:30pm he nursed 9mins-he stopped

1:47pm he nursed 12mins-he stopped said "gone" & then left to play lol!

So in about a little over 6 hrs I have nursed him 8 times already! I have only nursed the baby 4 times lol! I just never realized how often he nursed! I know some times were only couple mins but he gets it out quickly (I have over supply) & some times just needs little comfort/snuggle time.
    Mama to: