Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to introduce Cow's milk

Default How to introduce Cow's milk

DD is 19 mo .She likes yogurt but no cheese or milk .as I am planning to wean her around 24 mo I really like to make her drink cow's milk.I know she doesn't really need to drink milk to get calcium but cow's milk is a handy & healthy drink for every one that's why I personally like the habit of drinking milk.could any body tell me how to make her used to drink milk?TIA

Default Re: How to introduce Cow's milk

If she's eating yogurt then she's getting all the calcium and nutrients she needs from dairy. So not only does she not need the cows milk - you don't need to replace cows milk with something else - the yogurt is doing that.

I don't think you can make her drink cows milk if she doesn't like it. But maybe you could try a liquidy yogurt smoothie to start if it's really important to you?
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

is she talking? Can she tell you if she doesn't like it?

I would just keep trying different temps, sippys, types, etc..

I've recently introduced cows milk to my ds, who is 21 months. He is still nursing a ton, but I'm going to be gone for five days and I know cows milk will be the easiest source of calcium/fats/etc for my dh to get into him. My ds wont eat yogurt and cheese makes him constipated. I started with warm milk and he refused it. Flat out refused. Crossed him arms over his chest and everything Also I was calling it "milk" and I think he was getting confused. After a week of trials, we learned that he will take it cold in a special sippy that he loves. He wont drink whole milk. Wont drink 2 percent. Will only drink 1 percent. So much for getting the fats into him He seems to like it though.

I'm not concerned that he wont take whole milk (and I'm not sure what you've been offering, but maybe try different kinds ). I've read that after two years, whole milk isn't necessary - so whatever milk you normally buy will be fine. And because I'm still nursing (as are you), and it will only be five days, I know he will get fats from other sources - so for right now, your breastmilk will make up some of the fat requirements, kwim?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I've never personally known of anyone who could 'make' their kids eat/drink something they didn't like - unless it bordered on abusive techniques In my experience, however, the best method of encouraging a child to eat/drink something is to continually offer it to them and continue to eat if yourself and to keep in around (thus is the reason so many kids brought up on junk food continue to eat junk food and vice versa)

So if you want your child to take to drinking milk - keep offering it regardless of her reaction to it and she may eventually like it - however she may not.

Having said that no one 'needs' cows milk -it's really not that healthy for many people (I want to say all people but I don't like to over generalize) .

So what is the milk offering her you feel you cant get just as easy in other ways?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post
    I've never personally known of anyone who could 'make' their kids eat/drink something they didn't like - unless it bordered on abusive techniques In my experience, however, the best method of encouraging a child to eat/drink something is to continually offer it to them and continue to eat if yourself and to keep in around (thus is the reason so many kids brought up on junk food continue to eat junk food and vice versa)
    You can offer milk until the cows come home (excuse the pun), but if the kid doesn't like it there's no way to make her drink it. I personally hate cow's milk- the only way I can drink it is to mix it with coffee or tea. It's not because my parents raised me wrong, I just never liked the taste.

One way that some kids will drink milk is with chocolate or strawberry syrup. Sugar makes just about anything palatable to a small child, but then you're giving your kid sugar... It's not a great solution, but if you're really absolutely determined to get milk into your kid, that's one way to do it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"