Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump recommendations

Default Pump recommendations

My son is 2.5 months and I haven't given him a bottle yet. After concern that his green poop (which is gone) might have been caused by a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, I started feeding him on only one side for his first feeding of the day. He sleeps for quite a while so both breasts are very full. I was previously taking him off the first so he'd be hungry enough to have some of both..I think he was getting too much foremilk when I did that.

Anyways, I have to pump the second breast to relieve the engorgement. The only pump I have is the manual pump that came with the Medela kit from the hospital. It requires 2 hands so I only pump for 5 minutes or less (usually less). I was thinking of getting a the Medela Harmony Manual pump or a cheap electric pump. What do you think? Any recommendations?

Debbie

Default Re: Pump recommendations

If you think you're going to use it every day, you might want an electric one. But you could also stop pumping and let it even out on it's own. Just pump an ounce or less out so that you're not in pain.

Do you only single side nurse the first feeding of the day? I single side nurse every time and that really helped me to even out.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I usually only single side the first feeding of the day. He sleeps for quite a while at night (10 hours..sometimes more). I don't think I could last comfortably until the next time he eats.

I tried single side feeding him for a few days. It was probably my imagination but I think he was crankier those days. I assumed it was hunger so I ended up feeding him less than every 2 hours...

pumping will only increase supply since you are only pumping to relieve engorgement. Try hand expressing a little. It only takes one hand and is a lot cheaper. I have a PISA and a Medela manual and sometimes for convenience sake I hand express. Its alot easier than hooking up the PISA or having to wash out the horns and stuff. Just hand express directly into the bottle (takes a little aim lol) and there ya go. Also do this alot on road trips. Hand express into a sippy or bottle so we can get to the next rest area without a major melt down.

Post Re: Pump recommendations

It seems you have good advice from some of the other moms on some of your question. All I can add is that if you are going to purchase a pump go with Medela and don't buy it from one of the big baby "superstores". They are more expensive and they don't give you any help. I am on my second child (now at 4 months) and I found a breast pump at Add A Little Love (it is online) and not only was it cheaper than the big stores by a bunch (can use all the help I can get these days) but even better the lady I bought it from was really nice and actually answered a bunch of my questions. She is a lactation consultant or something like that so she knows what she is talking about.

I found an online store in Canada (CAD $) with great prices on pumps and parts: The Birth Experience.