Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF to 6 months and then what?

Default BF to 6 months and then what?

Ok, to start out with, I am NOT weaning my daughter now or any time soon. Many of the books and pamphlets etc say that you should bf at least until 6 months. Now, if you take that to mean start weaning at 6 months, are they saying you should wean to formula? Like I said, we are not. It just occurred to me as my DD approaches her 6 month birthday, that it seems like if we were going to wean now, it would be weaning to formula. She certainly wouldn't be able to get everything from slow introduction of rice cereal / purees / bls. Or am I missing something?
    Proud Mom of Guinevere Rose 7/11/09.
    We are loving this whole new world!

Default Re: BF to 6 months and then what?

Weaning is a slow process that starts with he introduction of solid foods to baby. You are absolutely right; there is no way that a babe could get what they need to grow and thrive on solids alone before a year at the very earliest. In fact, the WHO and AAP recommend that breastmilk or formula make up the majority of baby's caloric intakeuntil a year of age.

So in short, the weaning process begins around the six month mark as they are no longer consuming only mama's milk. Does that make more sense?
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*muppet View Post
    Now, if you take that to mean start weaning at 6 months, are they saying you should wean to formula?
    I think they mean a combination of formula and solid foods. But there are people out there who wean to solids alone, or to solids plus animal milk- it's just not recommended.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*muppet View Post
    Ok, to start out with, I am NOT weaning my daughter now or any time soon. Many of the books and pamphlets etc say that you should bf at least until 6 months. Now, if you take that to mean start weaning at 6 months, are they saying you should wean to formula? Like I said, we are not. It just occurred to me as my DD approaches her 6 month birthday, that it seems like if we were going to wean now, it would be weaning to formula. She certainly wouldn't be able to get everything from slow introduction of rice cereal / purees / bls. Or am I missing something?
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who is confused about the process I know exactly what you mean mama. For example, my dd is 7 m/o and we started solids last month or so, but I had the same question/concern. I'm confused about this, too, because if they wean off bfing, what else do they consume to get nutritional value w/o having to go to formula. That scares me because my dd NEVER took to a bottle, she likes it straight from the tap, so how would she get her milk if she weaned? They can't just get solids
    Is this what confuses you, too?
    Keep going strong w/bfing because you can't go wrong, right
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Everything I have read and what I did with previous 2 kids was to start offering just a couple tablespoons of food at 6 months and keep Bfing as before. Then work up to offering the food twice a day, increase the quantity a little, etc. But breast milk is primary the first year.